Mednafen front-end Mednaffe won't launch PSX games

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Mednafen front-end Mednaffe won't launch PSX games

Postby Zeikcied » Mon May 16, 2016 11:02

I installed Mednafen through equo, and I downloaded and compiled the GTK-based front-end Mednaffe, because that's what I used in the past, and it seems to be by far the best Mednafen front-end for Linux. However, when I try to launch a PlayStation game, I run into this problem.

Code: Select all
Executing mednafen with command line:
"/usr/games/bin/mednafen -psx.dbg_level 0 [path to game] "
***ERROR***: Unrecognized argument: -psx.dbg_level
End of execution catched.

(Note that I chopped out the path to the game I'm trying to run. It doesn't actually say [path to game] in the log.)

I never had this problem before, but it's been several months since I've used Mednaffe or Mednafen, and back then I was on Kubuntu, as well. Heck, I don't think I've used Mednafen since last Summer.

Is there a way to fix this? Or am I stuck waiting for the developer of Mednaffe to fix it?
Zeikcied
Simple Hen

Re: Mednafen front-end Mednaffe won't launch PSX games

Postby Zeikcied » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:19

I think I might have figured out what the problem is, finally.

The package page for Mednafen says that it's built using the "-debugger" USE flag, which I assume removes or turns off any and all debugging that Mednafen comes with, including the -psx.dbg_level command line argument. Because that's supposed to be available, the developers of Mednaffe haven't removed it. And for all I know, other systems that Mednafen support are affected by this, as well. I haven't tried, but I'm guessing the PSX core isn't the only one with a dbg_level argument hard coded into Mednaffe.
Zeikcied
Simple Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed