will linux ever be a serius OS?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

will linux ever be a serius OS?

Postby ARTIMUS_MK9 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:08

Hi everyone
I was just wondering, do you think that linux will ever become a serious competitor in the world of commercial OSes? on one hand there is that fact that linux is somewhat like AMD (which I favor over intel) in the way that linux has been in the dark for so long most people only see OSX and windows and not linux yet on the other hand linux has become one of the most intuitive operating systems and looks better than anything bill gates or steve jobs have ever put together (even though I have the vista theme for beryl). so what are your thoughts on the subject?
ARTIMUS_MK9
Young Hen

Postby zouzou85 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:14

I also like the fact that linux is run my a minority. but i do think that Linux is becoming a serious competitor, especially for Windows. Only Micro$oft's recent attempts to scare people away from the free/opensource world is evident to the seriousness of the situation.
Also, most people would like to complain (and get a refund) when something doesn't work right for them, which they won't get to do (as intensively) in an opensource OS due to its being free (where are they going to get the refund from). So the solution to this is having enough people trained well in linux to be the IT techs who serve the rest of the people. ( these techs will of course get paid for the service).

For me, I prefer linux to be run by the innovative minority rather than the stagnant majority.
Ignorance is not shameful. Arrogantly ignoring and denying your ignorance is.
All men are capable of learning, except two: The Arrogant and The Shy.
zouzou85
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Jul 29, 2007 21:47

it will be a serious competitor when will grab a part of money now picked up by microsoft ecosistem. Even if will be the os used by 90% of the planet, if no money flow to it but to m$, then bill be equal happy. Linux will have the market, microsoft the money .... what you see here i the birth pain of a new economy infrastructure, infrastructure powered by linux like os. And men and women like lxnay, scratching their heads trying to figure how to make a live and a full time job from it. Linux as an OS can be counted as a serious competitor to microsoft when peoples like lxnay can work full time to it, hunting down the bugs, tidy-ing up details, many details here, in linux world, need attention, and still keep his dreams in front of his eyes not a big pile of cash ... then linux will be a serious competition for microsoft ...

Now linux is only a dangerous creature for microsoft, because all money on the planet still cant kill or cant trap him in a cage. And this is because is free, anybody can have it, anybody can use it, anybody can buy it or support it by donations. And when anybody can do anything following they dreams, for free, is a problem for gatekeepers. They want you to pay to do that

se here more about this:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50727
Last edited by totedati on Fri Aug 03, 2007 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby lxnay » Sun Jul 29, 2007 23:25

In the server arena, Linux IS a reality since many years.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby totedati » Sun Jul 29, 2007 23:57

and a winner .... a lot of us bet they money about the fact that linux to the desktop will be the next game where linux will win ...

but not me ... for me the next part were linux will win will be the desktop part from business, small, large, no care, here is the place where linux will win the desktop part of the battle, not in average home users homes.

why you ask, why?

answer is so simple, look at the server that power all this business desktops! They run already a linux server ... in a reliable way from how many time? so all this business with reliable linux servers serving they business needs, what they think? how to save more money using linux powered machines everywhere! they look at actual winxp machines ... then they look at vista scary alternative ... then they do the maths .... easy not so?

here will be linux the next winner, then of course anybody will request a linux background for any use of desktop computers in they job. And then a lot of joe user begin to discover that linux mastering is a requested skill when you apply for a job, and begin to learn to use it ...

and all microsoft money can not stop the flow of good news in media, write papers, radio about the new, free, and easy to use os. And microsoft empire begin to meltdown ...

now you see this move and battle, a huge array of business around the world replacing windows desktops with linux quietly, and microsoft kicking back and spreading FUD ... and media begining to see the move .... and speaking about it ... very soon average joe users will see it also, and then they need a sabayon linux powered machine, easy to use in they work place ... i hope ... here winxp live they last days, and is the place where vista have no place to step in. Because they are a DRM virus not a real os, and anybody begin to see that ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby Midnitte » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:41

I think it is already a serious OS, its used by many corporations and people because of how flexible it is and how customizable it is.

Its just not a home user serious OS yet.
Midnitte
Baby Hen

Postby totedati » Fri Aug 03, 2007 19:31

Midnitte wrote:I think it is already a serious OS, its used by many corporations and people because of how flexible it is and how customizable it is.

and this is mainly because you have a solid and easy to use infrastructure to lock down a corporate linux desktop. Each steps are logical, easy to follow, and result consistent, and reproductible. Linux and unix has a multiuser infrastructure by design. This help you, poor admin, to control what users in a corporate network can and can't do with they'r desktops in a transparent and easy to understand manner. Try to do that with winxp. A scary story ...

Midnitte wrote:Its just not a home user serious OS yet.

is only a very little corner were linux still don't get in .. Games ... The last games titles still can't be played in linux. But in any serious business who care about this little details!? Nobody!!! Average joe users maybe, but the battle now is not for his home desktop but for a place in little and big business client desktops terminals. My two cent little suggestion ... here linux have real chance to win the battle ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Re: will linux ever be a serius OS?

Postby eshum » Sun Sep 02, 2007 18:40

Because Linux is freely available in many different distros all over the world it is difficult to say the least how many users there really are. Because the are no recorded sales or tax payment records to check the total number of Linux users stays in the shadows hard to define. I also believe there are a great number of users who avoid telling others what system they are using just avoid the lengthy explanation to why they threw there Windows disk in the trash can. If more Linux users would go to Linux registered user and register the picture might clear up a little. I am Linux registered user #452,477. Also I am not sure at all that Windows really has that huge lead everyone presumes it has. If accurate searching could be done you would find places in the world were one computer using Linux has fifty or a hundred people using that machine,and many more instances were that one machine has five or ten users, and thats real cost cutting. While Windows is about greed and big money Linux is about great computing for anybody who wants to use it. For my money Linux took over the desktop two years ago and Windows will begin to fell the crunch sometime in the next ten years.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Sep 02, 2007 19:59

eshum wrote:If more Linux users would go to Linux registered user and register the picture might clear up a little. I am Linux registered user #452,477.

yumy ... but also you can show it everywhere, like me in all my forum post, even in my e-mail signature. so all see it and ask what mean that "Linux registered user #....". and maybe more will do this little step and register to Linux Counter Home Page
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby Modd » Sun Sep 02, 2007 22:07

unfortunately i feel linux will remain on a short third leg, till larger companies like adobe start offering apps like flash and dreamweaver etc. to linux platforms, or untill the Mac/bsd and M$/unix insest thats going on pays off in cross-platform-ability. hard core end users like myself, needing to use proffesional audio/video/photo apps suffer on linux, and as of now are very forced into osx or Winblows, myself included.

but hope exists, we can't ignore that linux is leagues ahead of either OS in it's graffic interface and options within. purely on the fact that *nix users are able to choose between several interfaces such as kde, gnome, fluxbox, xfce etc. where as osx and M$ only offer they're single interface option.

as much as i hate ubuntu. the google merger shows that its happening. linux is going to get the support soon its needed all along. open-source breeds far to good programming to be ignored.

and don't forget to donate not only money, but great money making ideas to great people like ixnay. if some one like him can make it, we have hope for the future of GUI OS interfaces, and creative computing alike

Modd Jobs
Music Producer
Modd
Baby Hen

Return to Off Topic