openmoko, free you phone ... iphone killer?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: openmoko, free you phone ... iphone killer?

Postby SpawN » Mon Nov 12, 2007 19:38

Gphone .... i don't like it :|

SpawN
Baby Hen

Postby random guy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 0:27

has anyone seen any of these andriod phones? i would love something for $200 with wifi.

then when those apple geeks show off their iphnes i can show them my opensource phone.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby SpawN » Sun Nov 18, 2007 14:24

Iphone is....hmm good but look's like a normal phone...

SpawN
Baby Hen

Postby ioannidis007 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 18:10

Yeah, I think these guys give you tools and a debug board to try and hack it so it fits your needs! Amazing! I wonder who would dare do this on an iPhone!
"I am the man that will become the pirate king!" -Monkey D. Luffy
ioannidis007
Simple Hen

Postby totedati » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56

hah! the last moves in this giant battles:

Dalvik: how Google routed around Sun's IP-based licensing restrictions on Java ME

what i see here is a lot of gatekeepers ... maybe will the beginning of unlocking mobile phone hardware platform, maybe not ... google android is not a clean gpl v.2.0, not even apache ... what i see here is a careful first move from google but only that, no more ... and still no real phone running this wonderful android platform ... still only dreams ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby random guy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 14:20

totedati you like to write poems eh?

stuff takes time to do, i mean you cant just build an os (even for a phone) and slap it on hardware from day 1. takes work. takes testing. especially if it is open source you want to give the community enough time to develop for it. plus handset makers can really only make the phone after a software stack is completed. its not like the makers are going to try and integrate each nightly build onto the phone each night. it is not exactly a computer.

i think all the google android stuff will fall into place with time. including the gpl thing.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:40

well ... for me IS IT EXACTLY LIKE A COMPUTER .... with a CPU, a display, some RAM, some keyboard, a conectivity thing, you know that all that 3g stuf is olny like a antic modem with commands like ATblablabla not so? that 3g part is oly a modem! you dial to it like with the ancient dialup modems ... and all essential software stack is here, only that the UI thing still need some polishing because displays is soo tinny ...

so, for me is no other barriers, only NETWORK CARRYERS MONOPOLYES and HUNGRY SOFTWARE PROVIDERS OVERPRICES that keep this huge market closed ... like was computer market before PC ...

look at that DALVIK VM ... a smart move from google ... but why? only because google fear to be too much tied to javaME VM and mulled by lot of cash from that nice guy's from SUN ...

but soon all this strugle will be history ... such a huge market can not be keep closed too much time ... my prediction is that by 2008 or at least 2009 all monopolies will be a thing of the past in this market ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby ioannidis007 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 22:14

I saw a video about openmoko on youtube and I think it's not as good as I expected. It takes about 1:30 to boot. What do you think? I believe there will be more in the domain of portable linux so I won't hurry and buy it. I have found this list and maybe you should take a looK: http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9423084269.html
ioannidis007
Simple Hen

Postby Eden » Tue Mar 04, 2008 20:57

You have to remember its still in development, consumer release isn't expected till the end of the year I believe.

I haven't kept completely up to date on the latest news but last I heard the development version had some bad problems with battery life, i assume they have fixed that by now.

definitely not ready for daily use just yet. Cant wait though.
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby ioannidis007 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 22:10

It's sold out folks! That's too bad... I hope for a new release soon! Has anyone saw the CAD files that was released? It's on the site:
http://www.openmoko.com
ioannidis007
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic