openmoko, free you phone ... iphone killer?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: openmoko, free you phone ... iphone killer?

Postby totedati » Thu Sep 13, 2007 23:59

and after some more day past i step to another openmoko variant ! i find the
greenphone! oh my good ... like all trolltech things is more software & money oriented but is like openmoko a good beginning baby steps in the right directions ...

i hope in a not so distant future this open devices will reach the market, and the power of open markets will make it a real & full of money trail revolution ... i see only one problem here ... the gatekeepers will not be happy ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby random guy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 16:10

hmmm looks cool but nothing is finished yet and it costs $300 and version 2.0 is estimated $450 on the wiki. so i probably wont be buying this. priced at like $200 i would be it now...
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby totedati » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:26

this is also my worry also ... price is too high! for that amount of money you buy a full desktop system! i wonder why is priced soo high ... hardware components has nothing special! ... usual bulk hardware meat!

from a consumer perspective if price will stay so high, ipone with his now huge volume bulk selling will lower prices and will be more atractive than openmoko and greenphone variant!

i hope openmoko & greenphone developers don't forgot the basics ... it's all about money dude!
this is why all of us want a openmoko, because our hope to be not so pricey ... and opensource ofcourse ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby random guy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:43

what i dont get is how they are estimating the price without knowing all the hardware that is going in. so far their 300$ one doesnt really make calls, cant really do much etc. they also just pulled 450$ out of the air as the price for v2.0 when they only suspect that it will have wifi etc.

i guess it is a supply and demand thing, they know that smartphones usually run $300-450 and if they charged that for theirs they wouldnt really be considered to be pricing outragiously. i have come to believe that most hardware can be produced at under $20 especially if the parts are made in china.

i dont mind if it has fewer features than the iphone, just so long as it is cheap enough that i wont have to use half a dozen full paychecks at my student job to get it.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Oct 28, 2007 18:26

hummm ... look like things is moving ... slowly but is moving in the right directions ... latest insider news:

Hey Google, Is That a Phone in Your Pocket or Just a Linux OS?

2008 and 2009 look like will be very interesting years from this perspective ... finnaly open devices will be something real not warporware ... and when things like open hardware circuit schemas and open bios will reach also a usable status the world will never be the same again .... gatekeepers will watch how power will slip from their hands to the millions of peoples ... and things like irak war, can not happen any more, if the real power will be in too many hands ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby koch » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:07

totedati wrote:and things like irak war, can not happen any more, if the real power will be in too many hands ...

HEY, hello...hey...totedati...hey, wake up...no, not just 5 minutes more...it is time...you gotta wake up...hey...wake up, this is the real life!
WINDOWS: Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it - stop. format it.
koch
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Wed Oct 31, 2007 0:00

heh, i'm here! and i'm dreaming ... reality is only another dream ... you know that, not so?

;-p
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Nov 11, 2007 22:39

hmmmm ... the latest news about gphone

Google Android SDK

and

Google and T-Mobile in a Deal for the New Google Phone?

and

Where's my Gphone?

and so on ...

drive me to a mixed pathway ... look like google do not want to leave the safe heaven of strong revenue from a pure internet company and to jump in alien land of hardware devices ... can be risky ...

a quick positive result is that newsvisual look like a good source of news about gphone birth pains ...

but even if android phone software platform is based of linux technology i no see anywhere a word about it ... oh, i see one ... yeah, one is enough, they like to use it, but to forget as soon as they can about it!? will see ...

and all talks about android platform released under a "developer friendly license" ... puah! ... look like google and any other comercial company, including microsoft here, from this planet is in a very disconected state about how "developer friendly" can be GPL2 and GPL3 license ... or what they think when they talk about "developer friendly license" !? i do not understand ...

my hope is that google will not be the next apple or microsoft software company ...

anyway as time past look like more & more a corporate marketing crap, all full of clues about open licenses, and no one word about GPL2 or GPL3, the right license for any things that involve protection of developers rights ... and less and less linux good news ...

only time will tell us what is this ... can be a BIG THING, a real revolution for all open device dream ... now is only hopes ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby random guy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 23:05

Code: Select all
my hope is that google will not be the next apple or microsoft software company ...

naw google is a lot better than most companies. do remember though that it is a company so it wants to make money but releasing the source in a way that will be friendly for us would not hurt their profits so i think they will be fairly open. maybe not gpl becuase i imagine this will need propietary software like java, maybe bsd license. i would be fine with that though. actually i would be fine with then releasing it under some totally wacky new license so long as we can 1)see the source and 2)modify it however we like without asking permission.

what more can you ask after you have that.

even if they do partner with t-mobile that is my carrier so i wont be ostracized like iphone. but i dont htink any carrier could be as annoying about carriers as apple.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby totedati » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:23

is my hope also ... i remember in the past, and now also, i like google because his smart way to insert ads in his search results pages ... is a promising thing, look like some smart guy's try to find a middle way between needs for money and full openess ... if you give something away for free, you should expect little money to come back ... and more money using that damn thing ... they want to create a good platform, easy for everybody to use, with little if zero money barriers to entry, and later monetize this platform selling special services like google maps ... can work .... now mobile phone apps platforms is fragmented and closed in proprietary silos .... open linux platforms can be an alternative but they need support from network carriers and no one want to do that, and here is still work to do also .. platform is not mature yet, is a work in progress ... and mobile user is ever more noobs that windows users ... that damn thing shold be even more user friendly ... here linux need more work to smooth the corners ... and is no time to wait a slow colective build up like is in linux today ... i a rush money train ... money from big companies like google & interested network carriers like T-Mobile is welcome to speed things even more ...

what we see now is linux platform mixed with some money pumped in ... will see what will be pumped out of the pipe ... very soon ...

;-)))

and here some hot spices:

Symbian exec blasts Google’s plan for mobile OS

not everybody is happy with this move ... will see if a mobile phone os is roket science ... ;-p
totedati
Technological Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic