openmoko, free you phone ... iphone killer?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

openmoko, free you phone ... iphone killer?

Postby totedati » Tue Jul 24, 2007 15:43

http://www.openmoko.com

my mouth are wet ... waiting for consumer liberation ... when consumer version will be out, i must have one!!

we live in a true consumer revolution ... :oops: :oops: :oops:

i wonder ... how our live will be after 30 - 40 years, with a flood of devices like this openmoko .... in this day all hardware vendors is in a fierce battle to lock all customer option, and to cash as much as can our dreams ... look at iphone, what a pitty ... beautiful design, nobody can contest this, but mounstruous vendor hardware locking ....

but no more ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Tue Jul 24, 2007 18:34

I read about this a few days ago. I'm wating until October when the next model comes out with more features that will make it a real competitor for the iPhone.
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Tue Jul 24, 2007 22:47

i hope that this will be a wild succes, and begin to see a broad range of open gadgets ... like a open ogg player, YES ogg support yell'ed first not mp3 support, open dvd players, open and with usb support HDTV devices etc .. etc ...

free your, OUR, hardware !!! still to this day a lot of hardware info about OUR gadgets that our buy day to day is very hard to find, and use. Look like all vendors is building a iron cage around all useful info about OUR hardware. Is OUR assets, have full right how to use it ... but still can not do that without complete info about how is working ... and that info is hard to find, and time consuming, even using the google godness ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby monday90 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 16:15

I am certianly looking forward to the Openmoko. I fear though, that unless the big mobile operators and handset vendors actually make this available it will not be a big success. After all even though I will quite happily pay the £300 for it I doubt many will when carphone warehouse will offer you a state of the art nokia/sony erriccson/samsung for free as a part of your contract. I am sure many people will be impressed when I pull out my shiny new linux phone but they will quickly change thier tone when they hear they have to pay that much for it.
monday90
Simple Hen

Postby Eden » Thu Jul 26, 2007 16:37

I'll be getting one, my current phone is starting to fail me :( it will be great to laugh at those iphone users who are locked into one phone network.

totedati you wont see open dvd players since its pretty much illegal to play dvd's on GNU/Linux already
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:52

is a good thing to break unjust laws, or to fight to change it ... but you need some balls to do that ... this what i learn from a past communist country ... and unjust and immoral laws is in all form of government, capitalists or communists, is just easy to change it, in a nonviolent way, in a capitalists country ....
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Jul 29, 2007 14:17

monday90 wrote:I fear though, that unless the big mobile operators and handset vendors actually make this available it will not be a big success.

my big fear is close to what you think but not identical ... my fear is that all mobile network operators will lock networks to work only using approved, read here "certified" devices, and all open devices like openmoko to be blocked to reach the consumer in this way .... look at how grumpy and unfriendly is all mobile network operators when you want to use THEY'R networks in a unapproved way. They have a very clear view here ... you use the network to make money? then you need to PAY him!

also all this bubbling about war against terrorism can make a difficult life for any open device ... is so good because is open to customize as you wish .... wait a little ... ben laden can customize it in a uncertified way as they wish, with little cost also ... weee .... is a problem .... not so?

all big and friendly boys want to control how we use this open device digital revolution ... they want to be THE GATEKEEPERS, all of us as customers will see this only as a opportunity to lose too many money for nothing useful ... i see a struggle here ... they want to cash in our dreams as much as they can, our want to free all our dreams and make it to really happen ....
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby atrus123 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:21

I'm certainly getting one (and the wife approves!), but I'll also be waiting until the next hardware revision in September.

There's a lot of really interesting information about OpenMoko on their wiki, and I also encourage you to sign up to their mailing lists, which are very active and full of juicy tidbits about developments.
atrus123
Baby Hen

Postby monday90 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 15:33

Yes the version sheduled for release in September is supposed to have alot more features. I believe they are currently looking at a camera, WIFI, and larger onboard flash memory, plus a few other extras. This is the one I'll be holding out for. The current version is a developers version and as such it is limited somewhat. Got to admit I'm watching this one very closely and will be ordering mine at the earliest opportunity. I had heard that the planned release date had slipped a little to November but this may just be rumour.

--edited for poor spelling.
monday90
Simple Hen

Postby atrus123 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 16:48

Talk in the mailing lists range from September to October for release, but there is talk of there being a longer delay. The current sense I'm getting is that it'll come out sooner rather than later, but it'll still be more of a development model with the updated hardware, so the OS still won't be ready for prime-time yet. I'm fine with that. The only reason why I didn't order the current model is that I'm waiting for the hardware.
atrus123
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic