does Linux read cd´s written in microsoft windows.

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

does Linux read cd´s written in microsoft windows.

Postby sabajoon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:44

I am new to Linux, so I may ask very stupid questions.:lol:
Can I use my cd´s that I have written under microsoft windows (cd´s and dvd´s full of stuff),
I am afraid that linux wont read those cd´s and dvd´s. :? :?:
sabajoon
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:02

Yes it will work.
Once in SL you can read and write to a windows harddrive or even a Apple Osx hard drive no problem.
Well in Sabayon not sure about the other linux distro's.

If you need to run some windows games a lot of them work using Cedega 6.0 transgaming or using Wine you can run some windows programs as well but not all of them.

Stuff like instant messangers and some music playing programs already have linux versions skype etc.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby sabajoon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:09

Thanks!!! :wink:
sabajoon
Baby Hen

Postby Darksurf » Thu Jul 19, 2007 13:25

Linux seems to have a problem reading the Windows Vista cds and dvds when files are just dragged and dropped in windows. Of course, so does every other operating system except Vista.... :roll:

Hell, Vista has a hard time reading normal discs at my work place. I'll pop in a disc and vista will try to format it into udf. The disc is already got something on in too! Vista is a pain in the ass. Just the other day I had to fix my boss's computer because a glitch in Vista made Vista not be able to recognize he had dvd burners/ cd burners/ cd rom drives and things like that.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby totedati » Tue Jul 24, 2007 22:20

linux can read cd and dvd created in windows, because all i needed is to support reading and writing iso9660 filesystem and udf filesystem. All is supported in linux.

and for the vista pain i see a only possible cure ... Dump it to the bin, and charge back license from microshit ... i think that you are paying, unfortunately, for it ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Re: does Linux read cd´s written in microsoft windows.

Postby eshum » Sun Sep 02, 2007 18:52

A simple answer would be yes Linux can read the cds and dvd you have. However you may have saved files that Linux cannot open.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Return to Off Topic