Google Desktop out for linux

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Thrice » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:23

It competes for users who would otherwise be adding code/money/numbers to the community
Thrice
Growing Hen

Postby mbuel » Sat Jun 30, 2007 16:16

wolfden wrote:I'm not anti google but you see from reading about this that many are. This has always been a known fact.

I'm just against software like this and beagle, it's useless. Linux has wonderful search tools already. Why does in another program that sits there eating cpu and ram constantly? It will be great for those that don't know how to use the built in search tools that is for sure. I can say one thing tho, in irc you are not going to find helpers saying, ok now use google desktop to find...............

It's not for me, but at least it won't be so integrated like beagle is.

choice.

I like code that I can look at, change, add to my programs then sell my programs or whatever. Having that pile of free code is what defines this community. Closed source doesn't add to it.

Can you understand why a company like Nvidia (or even google) doesn't want to release _everything_ open source? Imagine if Microsoft got a hold of their search code, and implemented it into their stack. They already did so with the BSD TCP/IP driver, that is STILL in windows to this day.

Some markets are highly competitive, and the competition is absolutely cut throat. If you give the user an inch, your competitor will take a mile.

It competes for users who would otherwise be adding code/money/numbers to the community

You really think someone who uses google desktop is going to be coding? And google desktop is free, the user could still donate time and numbers to the "sabayon" community as a whole, even if they choose to use closed source search software.

Can one really complain about additional choice? Isn't that supposed to be one of the driving mantras behind GNU/Linux? Giving the user choice?
"Democracy means government by the uneducated, while aristocracy means government by the badly educated."
GK Chesterton
mbuel
Simple Hen

Postby Thrice » Sat Jun 30, 2007 20:39

mbuel wrote:Can you understand why a company like Nvidia (or even google) doesn't want to release _everything_ open source? Imagine if Microsoft got a hold of their search code, and implemented it into their stack. They already did so with the BSD TCP/IP driver, that is STILL in windows to this day.

Some markets are highly competitive, and the competition is absolutely cut throat. If you give the user an inch, your competitor will take a mile.
Yeah or like OSX. That's the problem with BSD. You have to forbid selfishness or get taken over by it. MS or anyone is quite free to use GPL stuff if they abide by the rules.

mbuel wrote:You really think someone who uses google desktop is going to be coding?
Well I used it in XP. If it's a good product, yeah. Very many of us in linux aren't afraid of code.

mbuel wrote:And google desktop is free, the user could still donate time and numbers to the "sabayon" community as a whole, even if they choose to use closed source search software.
I meant I don't see them giving anything to beagle if they don't use it b/c they're on google desktop. In that sense they compete.

mbuel wrote:Can one really complain about additional choice? Isn't that supposed to be one of the driving mantras behind GNU/Linux? Giving the user choice?
No-one's stopping you from using it & I'd agree no-one should. I'm just complaining that it's not what I would have wanted.
Thrice
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Sat Jun 30, 2007 21:30

Frankly, even though I'm not gonna use it, I'm glad. The more mainstream groups (i.e. google) that make things for linux, the more new user friendly linux will seem. New people like to have things they recognize even if using a completely new OS.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby totedati » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:45

mbuel wrote:Google, only uses the data to send you personal ads, the same as gmail.

you are sure ? and by the way i like the intelligent google ads ... more intelligent that the competition ....

all to worry is about something that is fiddling with all you files and using internet to all its maxim potential .... and that is also crossplatform to some extent ... touching the evil windows machines ...

and to see how much i like internet, i want to see a good html email support in all linux e-mail clients ... this is what do not understand ... the fear for html email ....
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby denijane » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:51

Well, the problem with google fear is not that they are reading our emails, it's that they get too big for their (and our own) good.

Better ads are fine, better search is awesome, but i somehow dislike the idea to let google on my computer. As there's no doubt they records everything. Even they admitted it. And if you can't see what's wrong with that I can....With power comes responsibility and I somehow doubt google will stand to defend my rights of privacy if someone ask smart or hard enough. And having everything about someone in one database is somehow...too tempting :)

Sorry, but I don't want to live in big brother and although i cant fight the cameras all around, I can chose not to use google at least as a desktop. Though I can't stop myself searching with it :roll: It's too good to resist it. :wink:

And beside, personal ads are kind of... wrong. Because I'm not on internet to buy things generally (and I believe lots of people are not) but those ads are everywhere and if google tells them what I'm likely to buy without asking me first if i want that, well, i disagree. I'm not here to buy things-like because I'm saving money or I have problems with stopping myself buy stupid things or any other reason- and I see those sooo tempting ads everywhere. Begging to click and buy. It's really good for people that sell, but not that good for people that chose not to buy.

Because of a simple reasoan- commercial on TV may be quite good and adapted to people's taste but they have one difference with internet ads- on the TV you see something and you can switch the channel, or even if you like that product, you cannot immediately buy it in most case and even while going to the shop you have the time to think it over. While on internet, everything happens with 2 to 3 clicks- see the ad, click, chose and buy. So I find using my internet history to make me buy simply wrong and against my rights.

btw, may I ask for a link for that linux search? (yep I'm quite a newbie and I never heard of it)
denijane
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:07

hmmm ... this give me another ideas ... why as can have a google video search, or a google image search can not have a google shopping search session .... in this way all this personalized ads will be more valuable and not so ugly, and appear only when really need it ... and in all other normal search, used to find a info not to buy something, google can opt to NOT sent to me any ads ... this mean that now i want to buy something a i use google search to find it .... something like google shopping !?
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby denijane » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25

Good idea, but this means all the AdSense powered sites (lol, including mine) will die away. I think Google will never stop its Adsense money-machine, but at least they could offer you to opt-out seeing ads in every session, though that means everybody should be Gmail user and it's not always the case.

Well, duno, i wonder how come there is no association of anti-adsense fanatics :) or there is and i don't know it yet :P something like "Click away Adsense" :twisted:
but as i see this forum is also adsense powered, better not discussing that...

And I guess Adsense is a great way to earn money if you have high-traffic site, so it's kind of hypocritical talking against it. But still, i think it's against our rights of non-buying users.
I mean,you're totally right-some people use internet to shop, why not directing those ads only to them...Though how that could happen without actually recording their credit history i dont know.
The simple "No,Google, don't offer me you great ads, please" button is not an option....
denijane
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:46

denijane wrote:
The simple "No,Google, don't offer me you great ads, please" button is not an option....

indeed look like a distant and futuristic wish ...
like all this hipocrite whining about spamming when all big carriers make a truckload of money from high traffic spam e-mail accounts .... or all this shark words about pirates and crakers, when you know that in my country for example only 1-2 % of windows users will pay a winxp license ... is all about money ... they drive the world 'new economy' like all 'old economy' ... no news here ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:52

Bill Gates has unveiled Microsoft’s unlikely secret weapon in China, a territory he is adamant will turn out to be the software giant's largest market: piracy.
"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than when there's not," the Microsoft co-founder and chairman told Fortune magazine.

100 % right ...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article2098235.ece
http://www.linux.org/news/2007/07/19/0007.html
totedati
Technological Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic