Google Desktop out for linux

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Google Desktop out for linux

Postby Thrice » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:59

Thrice
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:17

:x augh another beagle - what a waste

evil software
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby darkscot » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:13

Call me paranoid but Google are the last people I would invite onto my desktop!
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Postby totedati » Fri Jun 29, 2007 0:49

File Versioning
Google Desktop creates cached copies (snapshots) of your files and other items each time they have been changed, and stores these copies on your computer’s hard drive. As a result, you can often use Desktop to find previous versions of your files or ones you've accidentally deleted.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

and me ... thinking that 120 + 120 + 400 GiB to my desktop and 60 GiB for my 'home partition' is enough .....

and

darkscot wrote:Call me paranoid but Google are the last people I would invite onto my desktop!

this is my fear also ... too many crosspoint's between my desktop and the big, ugly and today so dangerous, internet ... look like google is microsoft reloaded in our computers, in not so past dark day's of 'all internet belong to me' bill dreams ....
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby Thrice » Fri Jun 29, 2007 21:06

yeah cuz it's sooo hard to set up a firewall. I've been using it on XP & it hasn't once made a stupid request without me prompting it.

I don't know why you guys are so afraid of google anyway. Omg they're gonna ... show you better ads ... which you've blocked anyway.
Thrice
Growing Hen

Postby Thrice » Fri Jun 29, 2007 21:13

Got so much to post. I couldn't log in the whole of yesterday.

http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Google_D ... _for_linux
http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/06/28/0416255.shtml

Anyway there's the slashdot & digg discussions. My main complaint is that it's closed source. I didn't come to linux to run binaries.
Thrice
Growing Hen

Postby mbuel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 22:06

I don't understand the anti-google, anti-binary sentiment in the "open source" community... If you want more users to use your software you need software for people to use... (Software that they are familiar with.)

Being a linux user for awhile I don't see much point in google's tool (and it is a good tool), for desktop searching. I use slocate, or ls -la >> file.db, then grep that.....

too many crosspoint's between my desktop and the big, ugly and today so dangerous, internet

Google, only uses the data to send you personal ads, the same as gmail. They aren't in there _reading_ your email, or scanning your files...

I personally disagree with alot of google's business practices, BUT they make a great search engine, and it seems rather fool hearty to not use a good tool, just because you disagree with them. Would you not be friends with someone who hated the linux philosophy?
"Democracy means government by the uneducated, while aristocracy means government by the badly educated."
GK Chesterton
mbuel
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Jun 29, 2007 23:09

I'm not anti google but you see from reading about this that many are. This has always been a known fact.

I'm just against software like this and beagle, it's useless. Linux has wonderful search tools already. Why does in another program that sits there eating cpu and ram constantly? It will be great for those that don't know how to use the built in search tools that is for sure. I can say one thing tho, in irc you are not going to find helpers saying, ok now use google desktop to find...............

It's not for me, but at least it won't be so integrated like beagle is.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Thrice » Sat Jun 30, 2007 0:53

mbuel wrote:I don't understand the [..] anti-binary sentiment in the "open source" community...

I like code that I can look at, change, add to my programs then sell my programs or whatever. Having that pile of free code is what defines this community. Closed source doesn't add to it.
Thrice
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:16

It doesn't hinder it either.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic