Dual Boot challange

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Dual Boot challange

Postby some-dude » Mon Jun 25, 2007 14:48

hey ppl how are you all doing,

anyways, I have Vista on RAID 0 and will be installing SABAYON soon, jut before I start messing
around I'd like to ask advice on how I should go about installing Linux and dual booting Vista.
The reason why I am asking this because I already tried almost all Linux distros and non of them I was able to boot, GRUB would not install on RAID

example experience with Suse 10.2 any advice will be appreacted:

Vista is installed on RAID configuration
and I tried installing Linux on a seperate drive,please review my arttached images.

here is my drive list, the one highlighted is where I want to intall Linux:

here is the error message I receive during install:
this is my menu.lst I photographed during install:

here is another one with different grub configuration:

Thanks ppl
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:36

Only advice I can think of is to write it to the /dev/sd* instead of the MBR for each distro.

Then the raid or 1 big virtual hd and it's OS can load with it's own settings as well as each other drive and it's own , then using a boot manager program or something like F8 or F12 and the bios to boot each hd directly and run the grub on that hd.

Also if using windblows another error OS you can try acronis disk director as it has a OS selector software thingy that might be able to instead of F8 or F12 boot the whole pc with each grub / distro to it's own hd.

Isolating each OS per hd is the general idea.

Not sure if this makes sense bit late here now.

Hope it helps.
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:50

Might have to look into grub and all it's options as there is a " unsafe " option you can pass and this will stop grub from doing some testing on the drive IE: raid.

Might also still use grub and then have the raid / vista last using chainloader +1 option for this to pass booting to the raid.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-l ... aq.en.html

There is some extra links at the bottom that should have a details options to pass list.

Code: Select all

Sagely Hen

Return to Off Topic