Wwhich distro is the best looking???

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Wwhich distro is the best looking???

Postby sabawhat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:00

Which distro is the most resource hungry with all the bells and whistles? Like beryl, compiz and xgl. BTW, I cant boot Sabayon.
sabawhat
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:59

I think u just answered your own question :lol:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sabawhat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 15:14

wolfden wrote:I think u just answered your own question :lol:

Thats what I was thinking. It just seems everyday I find a new distro to linux. I'm pretty new to it, so it will probably be like this for a while.
sabawhat
Baby Hen

Postby thecdn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 16:04

The new Yoper 3.0 is a very beautiful distro. The icons are wonderful and the overall polish is great.
thecdn
Simple Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Jun 30, 2007 20:01

Elive is definitely the most elegant but only the unstable development versions are available for "no charge" and it's very buggy.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby thecdn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 18:37

Pclinuxos works flawlessly (for me) with beryl as does Sidux. Pardus does too, although it's an earlier version of beryl. Arch does also but it takes more manual setup than the other distros mentioned.

I take back what I said earlier about Yoper. Yes, it's a beautiful distro but, for me anyway, it's a release or two away from being stable enough for prime time.
thecdn
Simple Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Jul 06, 2007 18:19

You can make EVERY distro a resource hungry pimped bling bling OS :)

If you can't boot Sabayon for some reason, try DreamLinux (like OSX OOB), I have it on my older slower PC because it's based on XFCE .

But why can't you boot Sabayon ? Have you posted your problem on the forum ?
Maybe someone can help you fix the problem or the team can take notice and see if it can be fixed for the next release.

Greetings,
Amp
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 13:25

AmpLiF1eR, I watched the video of DreamLinux that you posted in another thread, and it looks quite nice. You mention that you have it loaded on an older PC: what sort of minimum requirements (CPU, RAM etc.) would you say are required for a reasonable performance of DreamLinux? The reason I ask is in case friends or colleagues ask me for recommendations for versions of Linux that will work on older PCs and have a nice-looking GUI.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Sat Jul 07, 2007 14:25

Fitzcarraldo wrote:AmpLiF1eR, I watched the video of DreamLinux that you posted in another thread, and it looks quite nice. You mention that you have it loaded on an older PC: what sort of minimum requirements (CPU, RAM etc.) would you say are required for a reasonable performance of DreamLinux? The reason I ask is in case friends or colleagues ask me for recommendations for versions of Linux that will work on older PCs and have a nice-looking GUI.

minimum requirements ? :)
check my post here: http://www.epron.com.br/ingles/viewtopi ... 8c5a522b3c
That is without Beryl enabled, that would be too much.
It's based on XFCE (like xubuntu) so it's very lightweight and needs something like 128mb RAM:
Their site: http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/index.html
I have it running now with beryl on a Intel PIII 500 with a Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440 .

If you're looking for a lightweight distro with a good looking GUI, you can also check others like Sam Linux 2007:
http://www.sam-linux.org/ and elive: http://www.elivecd.org/

On my main machine, Sabayon x64 is my choice (AMD Athlon64 X2 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM)

Greetings,
Amp
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Return to Off Topic