mp3(OGG) players?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

mp3(OGG) players?

Postby zaxor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 20:36

I am trying to find a good size, 40gb+, mp3 player that can play ogg. From what I have found so far iRiver seems to be the only thing that I can find. Are there others out there that I cant find?

This seems harder for me to find, but if anyone knows of a player that fills my needs but also plays video that would be amazing!

I just have a large music collection and I would like it to be ogg when I purchase a mp3 player. Video would be a nice addition but its not necessary. I have been looking around for about an hour or so, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!
zaxor
Young Hen

Postby totedati » Sat Jun 16, 2007 16:59

cowon is better ... http://www.cowonamerica.com ... my i have this http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/x5/index.html model, X5V variant .. as you can see yourself has a lot of support for a lot of music format .. mp3, flac, ogg, wav, mpc etc ... i miss only a mod plugin to be perfect .... you can compare that with iriver offert and judge yourself ... and if you not like they'r software you can use rockbox 'almost as a linux' alternate OS :oops: http://www.rockbox.org
I miss only the lack of radio fm support, but other models have that ... Is only sad that is hard to grab one from you local shop ... is not so widespread in europe ... if you live here ...

rationale :shock:
when you judge alternatives to buy a mp3 player and if you love linux, and want to support it, the best thing that you can do is to look at what formats is supported BY DEFAULT by that mp3 player ... aac+ and variants!? what!? No way, good bye ipod ... mp3 and wma only!? what!? good bye all that stream of crappy flash mp3 sticks, here you can in clude irivier also ... and so on ... why to not include at least an ogg player plugin!? And flac + wav is a must to be ... All that hardware makers has no excuse to not support it other that has a deal in some form with DRM & Co. friends ... BUT if that mp3 hardware player just ignore all DRM stupidity .... well then can be a candidate ... and a rich support for a lot of media formats is a good sign that this mp3 player manufacturer just ignore all DRM issues ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby mbuel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 15:59

totedati, that iAudio X5 is bad ass, never heard of it before you linked it.

I've heard of the rockbox port before, it's a pretty cool idea. Doesn't support my little mp3 player yet.

I picked up the Sansa C200 (1 GB) model. The reason was it was cheap and played open mp3 formats. The licensing issue (with mp3) doesn't bother me, and I can spend 20 bucks on a micro sd card and up the memory to 3 GB total. That and it has a built in microphone, and FM tuner for 65 bucks and it's a hell of a deal.
"Democracy means government by the uneducated, while aristocracy means government by the badly educated."
GK Chesterton
mbuel
Simple Hen

Postby totedati » Tue Jun 19, 2007 18:46

mbuel wrote:totedati, that iAudio X5 is bad ass, never heard of it before you linked it.

and 'bad ass' means a good deal or not ? for me was very good ... hunting it for more that a year, i'm very pleased that finally get one ... don't ask how ... is a scary story ...

mbuel wrote:I picked up the Sansa C200 (1 GB) model

that is the tinny league, sorry for you, but here is all about serious players ( this means hdd players with more that 20 GiB ) :twisted: :twisted:
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby mbuel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 23:37

totedati wrote:
mbuel wrote:totedati, that iAudio X5 is bad ass, never heard of it before you linked it.

and 'bad ass' means a good deal or not ? for me was very good ... hunting it for more that a year, i'm very pleased that finally get one ... don't ask how ... is a scary story ...

precisely. it is a good deal.

mbuel wrote:I picked up the Sansa C200 (1 GB) model

that is the tinny league, sorry for you, but here is all about serious players ( this means hdd players with more that 20 GiB ) :twisted: :twisted:

yeah, I know... big HDD players aren't in my budget. If they were I'd look into that X5 though. Much more attractive than the neuros.
"Democracy means government by the uneducated, while aristocracy means government by the badly educated."
GK Chesterton
mbuel
Simple Hen

Postby Eden » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:32

I have a cowon D2 4GB (+4GB SD card) 8GB total at the moment although that coud be easily upgraded to a 16GB SD card for 20GB.

If you dont mind the lower storage (i dont) its a great player, it does ogg and flac among other formats, video, radio, .txt, picture, sketch pad.

It tiny too, fitx in the palm of your hand.
Eden
Growing Hen

Return to Off Topic