Anime Anime Anime!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Anime Anime Anime!

Postby Darksurf » Mon Jun 11, 2007 19:20

Looking for anime lovers in the Sabayon forums. This could be fun.

Please list some of your favorite animes, and list your favorite anime genre!

Want to list them all? Go for it. This could help others find new animes and do research to find whether or not that would be something they are interested in. It also helps people to know who they silmilar with and can build friendly relations. :wink:

If you think you're too embarrassed to post. Keep reading and you may feel better about yourself. :lol:

My favorite genre: Comedy Romance (hey, I'm man enough to admit it. I'm secure with my manhood)

Favorite Animes:
REC (More of a Romance, holy hell this one is short w/12 minute episodes, but its still pretty good!)
FLCL (yes, there is romance in it. its more suppressed until the end though)
Eureka 7 (A little too long maybe? But its still really good)
Maburaho ( very funny, Definately comedy romance, mostly comedy)
Elfen Lied ( Not much a comedy, more of an Action type with a little romance)
Love Hina (Manga is much better. Anime skips too much. makes the story kinda flat. Read the manga)
Busou Renkin ( More of an action, romantic ending)
Lost Universe (great comedy/action)

I've seen and own a whole lot more!!! some only released in japan (luckily with subtitiles). Too many to list here.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby nuclearstrenght » Mon Jun 11, 2007 21:52

I'm too an anime fan, never used to read anime comics or watch anime series but love the long clips

my list (in order of likeness....quite :roll: )

1) Ghost in the Shell
2) Akira
3) Ghost in the shell 2
4) Ghost in The SHell: SAC I & II series
5) Miyazaki's Spirited Away
6) Sure I'm forgetting something important here

Yeahh...I love Ghost In The Shell...guess I'd be a cyborg if it could be feaasible :evil:
nuclearstrenght
Baby Hen

Postby turquoise » Tue Jun 12, 2007 22:43

Another big time anime fan here!

Among my favorites, there's some old classics mostly:
Berusayu no Bara (aka as Rose of Versailles or as Lady Oscar) Woman raised as soldier, French Revolution, tragedy... I love it!
Albator (French title, I can't remember what the Japanese title is, something like Space Captain Harlock I think) Space pirate trying to save earth from mysterious plant-like creatures looking like women.
Kaze no tani Nausicaa My favorite from Miyazaki so far.

I enjoy more recent works too but I haven't been able to keep up in the last few years because of work and other things. Some of the recent ones I watched and enjoyed are Elfen Lied, Ebichu (cheapo drawing but hilarious!), and that's all I remember right now.

Some others I like that are a bit less recent include Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion (in some weird philosophical way), Darkside Blues, Mononoke Hime, Mermaid's Melody...

I watch about any genre, maybe because I have been used to anime very early on since most of the cartoons I watched as a kid were anime. That would also explain my undying love for old classics. :P
Ma philosophie d'apprentissage : essayer, et si ça casse, essayer de réparer.
My learning philosophy: try it, and if it breaks, try to fix it.
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Postby Darksurf » Wed Jun 13, 2007 15:43

You should watch Elemental Gelade. The main character is a pirate (not on water, but not in space either, They have ships that fly). The fact that he is a kid pirate makes the story able to hold a little more comedy and less seriousness. It too is a comedy romance/action and is one of my favorites I forgot to mention. I think this is an anime you could get into.

I just started My-HIME. It looks promising. More of an action type (its a shounen, but the main characters are girls??) Lots of action straight from the beginning. I think I'll like this one.

And, of course, everybody loves Rurouni Kenshin. I watched the entire series. The ending kinda leaves you hangin' though. You don't know if Kenshin and Kouru get together. Its kinda like the ending of every other episode. Happy ending, but what about those two!! The samurai X movies kinda..... sucked. I don't think it fit the Kenshin series to well at all. Trust and betrayal kinda gives info on the scar on his face, and the other..... to me was pretty worthless.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby turquoise » Wed Jun 13, 2007 23:47

Pirates, I love pirates! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it.

I enjoyed Kenshin as well, what I've seen of it anyway. A few episodes, the Requiem for the Ishin Shishi movie, and the six OVA, but overall, I prefer the manga. I have the whole collection, plus the two artbooks and it rocks! They don't say if Kenshin and Kaoru get together in the anime? If I recall correctly, it's in one of the OVA at least, and it's definitely in the manga.

I've started to watch Key the Metal Idol recently, and I'm not too sure about that one. I'll have to watch more of it to forge an opinion about it. The premise is interesting though : it's a Pinocchio-like story where a robot girl has to get the love of 30 000 people to become human.
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Postby Darksurf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 15:19

Key the metal Idol isn't all that bad! I've seen it and its got many suprising twists. I'm not going to spoil it for you and tell you what goes on, but All I can say is your first impression of what Key really is, is actually far from the truth!! Its really a good anime, with twists and turns to surprise you at each corner. I think it was OK. :wink:

Its definately worth watching at least once!!

I just finished MY-HIME , which was really good BTW. Not what I expected, but it was still really interesting and I loved it. Good romance conflict and scheme, good storyline full of action. Not a bad anime by any means!!!

I also just finished watching something that reminds me of Harry Potter @ the beginning (the school for mages, wizards, witches, whatever you call 'em) But after getting past episode one, you already see differences. I didn't care for harry potter, my fiance loved it. But it seems we both really loved this anime. Do some research over "Zero no Tsukaima". I highly suggest this anime! Its only in japan in japanese, but it has subs so don't worry. From what I understand I don't know if it will ever be released in the states, but its worth a download and test run!!
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby turquoise » Tue Jun 19, 2007 17:23

Will add those to the checklist!

I have all the time in the world to watch Key, so I will get through it one way or the other.

I'm a bit behind lately, so I don't really have some recent finds to share but I know quite a few old classical ones, like Takarajima (Treasure Island), based on the book and Akage no Anne (Anne of Green Gables). Meitantei Holmes (Sherlock Holmes) is another one worth watching. I'll try to remember some that aren't based on books but it seems it was the in thing to do in Japan back in the early 80s! Or it was that World Masterpiece Theater thing...
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Postby Darksurf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:04

That IS really old stuff. If you liked sherlock holmes, but prefer more of a manga/anime style. You need to read Count Cain!! In the american version they split it into 2 series. the Count Cain Series and the Godchild Series. It is admittedly the BEST of ANY manga I have EVER read!! I wish there was an Anime to it!!! Its placed in the 1800s in England during the days of which we had Earls (Counts), Royalty, and aristocrats.

Cain (a.k.a. Prince of Death, for the fact that his hobby is collect rare and deadly poisons) is a young Count after his fathers suicide. His father hated him and tried to kill Cain multiple times (him being the son of him and is sister [ewww]) although he is very discreet about it telling his son he love him, but tries to poison him. Its kinda sad about his background, getting beat by a whip every night with the excuse "I'm trying to make you a better Count, Cain" really believing his father loves him until he finds arsenic in the sugar. His mother commits suicide in front of him when she sees his golden eyes and calls him the "Devil come to kill her".

There are many mysteries amount castles, murders, magic, cults, that he solves. He is more like the Dark side of Sherlock Holmes. Scary, pale, good looking, a mystery in himself. I love this manga and suggest it for mature audiences (for reasons of Violence).

You should definately try it out!

When I say mysteries I don't mean like Scooby Doo. I mean like ghost stories, fortune tellers, and other unknown/unexplained phenomenon. There is no trickery in this story, but real magic, fortune tellers, etc. This is the most amazing Manga I have read yet! Be warned if you are impatient, the Series isn't complete yet, but its not like Inuyasha or anything that long!!
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby turquoise » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:46

Yeah, I know this is old stuff, but still good. I've watched them again twenty years later and they are still worth watching.

Part of my problem with anime titles is that I saw many of them on tv, in French. As a result, I have to find the titles in English/Japanese before posting them and it isn't always easy to find the info.
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Postby Darksurf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 14:32

Yeah, I can understand where you are coming from. That does make things a little more difficult than they have to be.

I just started Inukami . It looks quite promising. If its any good I'll leave a good report for you guys here.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic