The new site design

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby stedevil » Sun May 27, 2007 19:28

OMG, the new website is horrible from a user point of view. This might sound a bit harsh, but Im not out to hurt peoples egos here but help you fix things for the benefit of Sabayon.

1) Starting from top there is a HUGE self advertising banner section with a quote of Chuck NorriX. Did anybody even bother to check it with less then 1280 res? It covers about half the visible page for people with 800px, 640px and that is almost the only thing you see on the page... :?

What is visible on the very first page without scrolling is the most important of an entire site for first impression and you are just wasting it on a pretty logo and a horribly expanding text at low res.

The overflowing text HAS to be fixed and it would be a very smart thing to make the logo smaller too. If you must have a super big logo to look impressive at high resolutions take advantage of CSS and make it's size a % of the visible screen area, that will keep it resonably sized at small resolutions while still not too small at high res.

2) After the mega self add there is more adds, from Google. It's placement is exactly above and on top of that extremely similar in look to the NAVIGATION of the site. It took me several seconds of "WTF where is the nav buttons" before I clicked one of the links while crossing my fingers that I wouldnt get sent of to some random advertising webpage...

Navigation is the most important thing for a websites usability and should under no circumstance ever be confused with external adds or anything else for that matter.

3) After the two things mentioned the next you see is

MONEY MONEY MONEY
ie "Save the project" + "Buy" + "Shop"

WTF?!? This site looks more commercial then anything I ever saw sofar. A first time visitor will be hard pressed NOT to get the impression of Sabayon as a commercial pay for product.

There are lots of other things that are not good (eg over loaded with links first webpage) but it wont matter because half the visitors will have been scared away before they even start scrolling down the page.

Please please please read some good literature on how to make a good looking usable webpage before next try, eg the freely available http://webstyleguide.com/ (it's a few years old and thus not up to date in regard to eg CSS, but the principles for good design are correct).

Alternatively ask eg Aaron (the guy who created the new Gentoo website layout that in the end was never implemented because the devs dropped the ball) to help you out. He really knows his stuff when it comes to designing pretty and USABLE website layouts.
stedevil
Young Hen

Postby davemc » Sun May 27, 2007 19:53

The new site looks wonderful in 1280x1024 and the Donation links were there on the old site as well. The only difference is that now they are at the top instead of buried at the bottom. Whats wrong with that? You like the project, then donate, and now its easier to do so. I can tell you from seeing it myself that lxnay has pretty much dedicated all his time to this project and making it better for us all, and donations are the only thing keeping it that way, as Sabayon is NOT a commercial product, nor does it have sponsors (nope, no $10 million foundation with corporate sponsors to back us up like some other projects, sorry).
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby csendesmark » Sun May 27, 2007 19:57

stedevil wrote:OMG, the new website is horrible from a user point of view. This might sound a bit harsh, but Im not out to hurt peoples egos here but help you fix things for the benefit of Sabayon.
[...]

nothing wrong with the new layout, if you dont like it, don't look :D
csendesmark
Simple Hen

Postby stedevil » Sun May 27, 2007 20:00

davemc wrote:The new site looks wonderful in 1280x1024...

... and there is nothing wrong with that, but it is completely insane to make a site that NEEDS 1280x1024... dont you understand the difference?

Sabayon is NOT a commercial product, nor does it have sponsors

I know that and you know that, but the person that the first time come to the webpage, will he know? A website design for this type of project MUST NOT assume every visitor already know everything.
stedevil
Young Hen

Postby stedevil » Sun May 27, 2007 20:03

csendesmark wrote:nothing wrong with the new layout, if you dont like it, don't look :D

Im giving advice how to MAKE people look at it and you are happy that people wont?
Apparently you dont want Sabayon to be successful? :roll:
stedevil
Young Hen

Postby csendesmark » Sun May 27, 2007 20:25

stedevil wrote:
csendesmark wrote:nothing wrong with the new layout, if you dont like it, don't look :D

Im giving trying to give advice how to MAKE people look at it and you are happy that people wont?

I can help a little to make the Sabayon linux project sucessful ;)

I can boost little this distro's speading, I will advertise @ my site (the 3.4 final) !
http://www.nyuuz.hu (hungarian site)
STATS (click) 20000 Unique Visitors /day :)
csendesmark
Simple Hen

Postby monday90 » Sun May 27, 2007 21:14

I personally am rather impressed with the new website. On the topic of "Please donate" it is exactly that. If you choose to donate you can. No-one is forcing you though, its not like its become a pay-per-download site or anything. Besides whats wrong with saying "If you like this why not buy a T-shirt, Mug, or Mouse Mat"? The more money these guys get the better SabayonLinux will become.
monday90
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon May 28, 2007 15:40

csendesmark wrote:
stedevil wrote:

Im giving trying to give advice how to MAKE people look at it and you are happy that people wont?

I can help a little to make the Sabayon linux project sucessful ;)

I can boost little this distro's speading, I will advertise @ my site (the 3.4 final) !
http://www.nyuuz.hu (hungarian site)
STATS (click) 20000 Unique Visitors /day :)

many thanks man. Feel free to contact me if you need something.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby lxnay » Mon May 28, 2007 15:41

For all:
thanks for your suggestions. I fixed the rendering when JavaScript is disabled, fixed some small issues using Opera, fixed Internet Explorer 7 rendering (while 6.0 does not have the minimum requirements for the best experience) and fixed some typo.

Your feedback was so helpful until now!
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby csendesmark » Mon May 28, 2007 22:02

lxnay wrote:For all:
thanks for your suggestions. I fixed the rendering when JavaScript is disabled, fixed some small issues using Opera, fixed Internet Explorer 7 rendering (while 6.0 does not have the minimum requirements for the best experience) and fixed some typo.

Your feedback was so helpful until now!

With Opera 9.21 I got still the "bad" layout but with Opera 9.2 the layout is OK :D

My guess the opera is the "bad"
csendesmark
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic