Linux worm discovered!!!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mocoy35 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:47

so why the hell worry when your system is 99.999% secure 99.999% of the time
my point exactly!!! you do what you can do to be secure.......but what difference does it make if you were 10% secure or 99.99% secure if the .01% got you? the end result can be the same.......awareness/vigilance are good things ...a little paranoia is a good thing......but you cant spend all your time being paranoid

mocoy
mocoy35
Baby Hen

Postby Darksurf » Mon Jun 25, 2007 17:58

Yep, some people don't seem to realize that the .01% is changing all the time. Its like having a 12 (or more) letter password that changes once every week. (or whenever the next upgrade/patch comes in for the opensource). The chances of catching,keeping, and being able to use that changing 12 character alphanumeric and symbol password for destruction is possible but for normal hackers/crackers (yes even red hats) is virtually impossible. (Note: you notice I say virtually impossible, not impossible) After the patch theres a new hole somewhere else, or another program with a new security problem. It is soo random that Linux users are pretty much secure.

Its not a problem that just stands there, and allows people to wreak havoc on your computer, like that one bug... err... I mean feature that is Windows! :wink:
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby mbuel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 20:40

Darksurf,

I think you are being generous with that 50% number.

:lol:
"Democracy means government by the uneducated, while aristocracy means government by the badly educated."
GK Chesterton
mbuel
Simple Hen

Postby totedati » Mon Jun 25, 2007 23:37

mbuel wrote:Have you personally heard of any windows malware/trojan/worm victims complaining that their windows will no longer boot because their hard drive has been fragged?

is true, no one real example yet, not even in windows world, but don't want to be me first ... :oops: :oops:
so, in this age of big but so unreliable hdd, and after a first half-dead 500 GiB hdd failure, i got a first, practical, and very cheap backup solution ....
i just buy more hdd :shock: and use it as backup's storage ... with an R-Driver III http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0383 device and a raft of hdd, now can play with my data as i want, my backups is always 'safe' :roll: :roll:
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby mbuel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 19:55

I think the real stuff you have to worry about as a Linux PC user is stuff like this:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/06/just-how-easy-i.html

is that new smart phone vulnerable to hackers?

just as worrisome is how easy it is for hackers to steal your information from RFID paypass enabled cards. In that case, there is security measures available, (unlike bluetooth, where there is no security and probably never will be.) the manufacturers don't take advantage of it!!

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.05/rfid.html

first half-dead 500 GiB hdd failure

what brand was the hard drive? After massive re-compiling in sabayon, my maxtor that I use for root is starting to act up.
"Democracy means government by the uneducated, while aristocracy means government by the badly educated."
GK Chesterton
mbuel
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Off Topic