Dell announces the models for Ubuntu

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby ispettorezenigata » Wed Jun 06, 2007 15:52

and all its collaborators with the ferrari.

Old Dear Hen

Postby mbuel » Fri Jun 08, 2007 22:26

The goal of launching Linux is to continue to give our customers more choices to customize their new Dell. Providing more options to our Linux Enthusiast customer group will hopefully create even more Raving Fans!!

unfortunately that's highly unlikely. I have tried pushing linux for years, and have so far only convinced my brother to run dual boot, and my wife to run it completely. I still try though!!

I'll explain more as to why in a reply to this quote:

Perhaps more importantly the simple fact that Dell offer them means that people will hear about them.

Linux users and techies. Average Joe, doesn't care about "linux" news. (What is that dern leenox thing?)

If the average computer user hears that a major computer manufacturer is now selling Linux pre-instaled as an alternative to Windows they may be tempted to give it a try on thier next PC.

This is where I'll explain why it won't matter. 99.9% of the people that refuse to even dual boot linux tell me the same thing: (these vary in importance depending upon the user.)

1) I don't want to learn a new operating system/ linux is too hard to use, etc.

2) None of the software I've purchased over the years will run on Linux. (or mac. The end user would be much more likely to choose mac over linux)

3) (overheard this in a restaurant and have heard it from others) My work uses windows, and I have to cart files home to work on, and you can't run microsoft office to open word documents on a mac. (or linux)

4) I can't run the latest games.

If these four issues get addressed, along with a massive online advertising blitz by supporters of Open source/linux/bsd software, then people will make the switch.

I've already seen some great "advertising" on youtube, showing windows vista versus beryl.

It's not even a fair comparison.

in conclusion, I love linux, use it as my sole operating system at home, and have for the last 6 years. sometimes the most you can do, is burn a live cd, and help them run it, to show how easy it is to use. If they like it, then you can point them in the direction of the ubuntu dells'. If not... there's nothing ya can do.
Simple Hen

Return to Off Topic