YESSSSS!!!!! I am glad I switched to sabayon

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

YESSSSS!!!!! I am glad I switched to sabayon

Postby gallienus » Sat May 19, 2007 11:05

After using slackware for years I recently switched to sabayon. And boy I'm glad I did! While I like slackware I've been looking for a new distro for the last year or so. I don't know if I was being picky or what but I had what I thought were two simple requirements. 1, that it could run VMWare workstaion. 2, that I be able to get MythTV to actually work.

Well I tried Elive, Fedora core 5, I think or maybe 4, opensuse 10.1, and a few others and no matter what I did I couldn't get them to run mythtv. Hell I even tried sabayon 3.2 and still no mythtv. Admittedly maybe I missed something maybe I screwed something up, who knows.

Hell, maybe it was all the practice but I finally got mythtv to work! And VMWare, I even managed to get it to recognize the cd rom.

I've used both ubuntu and pclinuxos and ya know what? Neither can compare to Sabayon. I honestly don't see what everyone is crowing about. If Sabayon has a shortcoming I haven't found it yet!

Okay I'm woosie with happiness, kudo's, highest compliments and the most sincerest of Ata-boys to the folks who create this amazing distro.
gallienus
Growing Hen

Postby totedati » Sat Jun 16, 2007 18:45

hehe ... sabayon linux is living to the shoulders of giants .... gentoo and portage ... what you discover here is the incredible power of portage metapackage infrastructure ... sabayon linux is a young child of gentoo with a friendly face for all linux newbies ...
welcome to our comunity and is my hope to love it forever ......
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby davemc » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:31

I too have tried many distro's. Debian based stuff like Ubuntu is quaint and they are indeed stable. The Ubuntu's are nice for the beginners but fall far short. Fact is that no binary based distro will ever be able to attain the heights that source based ones do. You can almost get the more powerful software to work on them, but not quite, and even if you can, not with the same power and functionality. Then you have Sabayon. King of them all, even including Gentoo. Very soon, there will be nothing at all standing between Sabayon and the #1 for all time greatest distro spots. All it lacks at this point is an easy upgrade feature and entropy will fix all that, including the option for binary based app installs giving one the option to go the source route (Gentoo) or the binary route based purely on choice and personal preference. The fact that you can point the success of this distro on a very small core dev team is also a wonder. My hats off to you lxnay, you are THE MAN!
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby gallienus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:27

Blah! I tried Ubuntu all that brown made my bowels lock up. Add to that no root account and sudo, it all added up to a very dissatisfying experience.

On a serious note though I wonder how hard it would be to give people a binary option in sabayon. Would Portage lend itself to binary installs. I'm not a programmer but it seems like it could be done you could use the same mechanism to check for dependencies as you would with source.
Start Portage

Select binary or source.
Binary {
Check dependencies
if
dependency is built download
else
fetch source build
Install }

Source {
check dependency
fetch all build
install }

I know more would be involved than that but I think that would be the general idea of it.
gallienus
Growing Hen

Postby davemc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:39

gallienus wrote:Blah! I tried Ubuntu all that brown made my bowels lock up. Add to that no root account and sudo, it all added up to a very dissatisfying experience.

On a serious note though I wonder how hard it would be to give people a binary option in sabayon. Would Portage lend itself to binary installs. I'm not a programmer but it seems like it could be done you could use the same mechanism to check for dependencies as you would with source.
Start Portage

Select binary or source.
Binary {
Check dependencies
if
else
fetch source build
Install }

Source {
check dependency
fetch all build
install }

I know more would be involved than that but I think that would be the general idea of it.

That is in the works now, see entropy. Its been in the works for some time now but lxnay is just one guy, give it time, and im sure it is a massive undertaking. Far as the Buntu's go, they serve thier intended purpose and do it fairly well. They stick to all that Debian Free Software blah blah poo poo stuff, and thats fine for a few I guess, until they get lucky and check Sabayon out, and then its all over but the fat lady's singing.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby voxiac » Mon Jun 18, 2007 14:42

gallienus wrote:Select binary or source.
Binary {
Check dependencies
if
else
fetch source build
Install }

Source {
check dependency
fetch all build
install }

And here come USE flags and screw everything ;) I still can't imagine how it can be accomplished... Binary diffs for every USE flag?
voxiac
Advanced Hen

Postby Darksurf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 15:15

Welcome. I also came from slackware. I have been through many many distros (too many to list and count). I always ended up going back to slackware. I wanted good 64 bit support with an x86 library for x86 stuff. I'm no x64 puritain like slamd64, or bluewhite64 (if they've changed away from that, I wouldn't know, I just remember how they were when I was trying to use them)

After so many distros I found Sabayon. I hated gentoo (had too many problems with installer and didn't like gnome), but this seemed different. I thought it was worth a try. It was everything I ever wanted and more! Ever since, I've been stuck on using nothing but sabayon. I even deleted my Windows recovery partition and replaced it with a swap partition for sabayon. I've yet to be sorry for it too. When I want to run a bios update or something dangerously windows biased. I pop in a Windows PE disc (a Live Windows cd-rom) boot it up and run my pretty little updates, then shutdown and boot back into linux without ever touching the HD with disgusting Windows.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby totedati » Wed Jun 20, 2007 18:41

voxiac wrote:And here come USE flags and screw everything ;) I still can't imagine how it can be accomplished... Binary diffs for every USE flag?

me too indeed ... a very specious problem ... and you remember how elegant is binary dependency hell resolved in portage .... simply ignored ... and then revdep-rebuild is you single friend ...
if lnxay and his team can manage to climb this mountain will be my hero ... forever ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby mayurgupta » Sun Jun 24, 2007 21:50

sabayon linux is a dream OS and I am glad to be a part of it
mayurgupta
Baby Hen

Postby mayurgupta » Sun Jun 24, 2007 21:53

III do am having problem with the sound but i hope it gets solved soon
mayurgupta
Baby Hen

Next