**CLOSED**Request wireless networking suggestions**CLOSED**

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

**CLOSED**Request wireless networking suggestions**CLOSED**

Postby tekwyzrd » Sat May 19, 2007 8:26

I live next door to my mother and want to set up a wireless connection to allow her to share my broadband internet connection, share files, send documents to her printer, etc. My computers both run linux. The one going to her runs win2k. Initially I'm planning on using wired connections for my computers but eventually I plan on going wireless. The distance from the spot I plan to put the router to the spot for her computer is approximately 30 feet.

Can someone recommend a stable, dependable router and pci adapter combination that will work well for a mixed network such as the one I want to set up? I'd prefer devices using the new mimo technology if possible, with removable antennas to allow me to replace the standard antennas with high gain replacements if necessary. The adapter must be compatible with both win2k and Sabayon and/or SUSE 10.2.
Last edited by tekwyzrd on Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:30, edited 1 time in total.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat May 19, 2007 18:59

Well I like my Buffalo AirStation Turbo G WHR-HP-G54 flashed with dd-wrt firmware. Now if I had a pole 30ft in the air with an external antenna I could shoot a 1/4 mile. I have the aethros chipset pci card that works out of the box.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby tekwyzrd » Mon May 21, 2007 0:17

wolfden wrote:Well I like my Buffalo AirStation Turbo G WHR-HP-G54 flashed with dd-wrt firmware. Now if I had a pole 30ft in the air with an external antenna I could shoot a 1/4 mile. I have the aethros chipset pci card that works out of the box.

What's the mfg and model of the pci card you're using?
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Mon May 21, 2007 3:43

I was bidding on a Buffalo Nfiniti WZR-G300N but was outbid at the last second. :(
I guess I can live with the Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54. I found one for $68.54 including shipping.
For the networking card I'll try an Airlink AWLH4130 (w/ Atheros chipset) for $24.94 shipped.
Both items new in retail boxes. Total so far is $93.48 Time to research antennas.

I'll probably run it with the standard firmware for a while.
Reading the procedure for flashing DD-WRT I see it is a bit of a PITA
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon May 21, 2007 23:43

*Router:
Router if you want secure and good wifi router Zyxel is one of the better ones. It is worth its weight in gold almost. As far as I know it has good support and recent updated unlike linksys that stops after 2 years to update their stuff. But read the reviews and do some homework.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833181218

*Powerline network adapter: 200mb/s
Also check power line network adapters as this you only need a lan cable to this wall plug device and same on otherside in apartment / flat no drivers to worry with.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE

*Pci cards any atheros / broadcom should work but you might get a good deal on a packeged bundle say a linksys router + 1 or 2 pci cards.

Newegg.com / zipzoomfly.com / outpost.com "fry's electronics" will have these and Fry's has specials on on fridays for the weekends if in USA.

I have the wrg54gs with speedbooster linksys router and like any routers in the last 2 years it has removable antenna.

*Distance in B mode is about 250Feet + and for G mode is a bit more narly about 150Feet.

*Apparently if you can get a good 802.11N router + 802.11N pci card you can get something like 270MB/s over 300+ Feet not sure have to check the specs.

I check retail websites for specs and reviews , make a list form 5* to 3* I would like and then ebay it to get a normal decent price.

Try also shopzilla.com and pricewatch.com as alternative to ebay.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Thu May 31, 2007 19:42

My Buffalo AirStation Turbo G WHR-HP-G54 was delivered today and two computers, each with a different distro (Sabayon v3.3 and openSUSE v10.2) are connected by wired connections and are sharing my dsl service. The only problem I encountered was the assignment of an admin password. I tried to use a 10 digit password but it wasn't accepted. No problem with 8 digits.

I don't know why people complain about the admin interface. It all seems pretty simple to me.

I'll post the last message in this thread after the wireless card arrives and is up and running.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu May 31, 2007 19:52

Not sure but both x-wrt and tomato firmware I tried ended up in DOS attacks kicking me of the internet and having to reset the modem and router several times. Had to switch back to current / default linksys firmware for the router , darn.

As for admin interface it is fairly easy but there is a few options there that needs a bit of attention in some of the firmware. Not sure what they actually do except for the ones that is self explanatory.

If you are not using the wifi part you can disable it for the time being saves on having to check who is war driving and cracking wep encryption etc .
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Thu May 31, 2007 23:27

One of the first things I did was set security for wpa-psk and create a nice long passphrase.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Fri Jun 01, 2007 0:45

@wolfden

I visited the Shields UP! security site and after a few changes in the router's settings I have almost full stealth.
The only port reported as closed and not stealth is 113.
Any tips on stealthing port 113?
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:26

me? no

I don't worry about such things
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Off Topic