3G cellmodems and DUN

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

3G cellmodems and DUN

Postby efraly » Tue May 15, 2007 5:29

Has anybody played around with a 3G cellphone to dial up network Sabayon to something like Cingular, or Verizon, etc :?:
efraly
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed May 16, 2007 19:35

Yes a few people have managed to get 3g working be it with the pcmcia credit card type device and then using DUN or via a handy with 3g on it.

The handy / mobile / cellphone with 3g and dun might need a cable or bluetooth or infra red connection and possibly some software or modded software to do it.

Just google for " 3g linux " and you should find plenty links. As for Gentoo based it is just a question of getting the source code and compiling.

I know for some of the sprint cingular type you will need drivers or firmware same as with a wifi card and ndiswrapper , might get away without sprint / t-mobile software

Several of these wifi 3g data card is made by 2 or 3 company's so it is not too hard to find it or get a generic one that works for most of them.

They have had this 3g phones and data cards for 1milj years in Europe already so try google.co.uk or ?? google.eu and the germans has figured most of these things out already.

PS> google.com will limit results to USA only = no answers unlike it is on google.co.uk for UK / Europe = answers.

To unlock the nokia phones use this link as your service provider is supposed to after 6 weeks / months give you this unlock code or you tell them you are going overseas and you want to use a local sim card , then they have to unlock your phone .

http://unlock.nokiafree.org/

Also if all else fails with the phone being too old technology try to get a 3g data card on ebay they go for $40 - $50 unlocked ie: can use it with any of the jokes for mobile company's here.

Merlin , novel / novatel is mostly the manuf. and they rebrand it as sprint vodafone t-mobile here.

Look for the ones that can be firmware updated to 7mb/s

PS> I am not trying to bad mouth the company's here but they are so far behind that all the old junk the rest of the world can not give away for free ends up here as NEW tech. and extremely expensive.

LMAO ROFL

Hope this helps.

THis is a pain as I was looking for this a while ago as well and came to above conclusion.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

VICTORY!!!!!

Postby efraly » Sat May 26, 2007 5:07

OK, I fanally managed to connect to the net using my 3G cellphone (LG CU500) as a usb modem. I did it using KPPP, the cellphone is to be setup as /dev/ttyACM0 (usb cable needed).
efraly
Baby Hen

Postby ponchera » Mon Jun 04, 2007 16:43

Hi,

I have a samsung blackjack and want to get it to use PAN(DUN) over usb. I have 3.4 loop 2 installed.

How do you know if it detected it and which device it assigned it to? i tried the /dev/ttyACM0 then did "query modem" in KPPP but get no response (also tried others, nothing) Should it be responding? How do I know if its even seeing the phone? I connect it before booting up.
ponchera
Baby Hen

Postby efraly » Mon Jun 04, 2007 22:30

try emerging gprs-easy-connect
efraly
Baby Hen

Postby ispettorezenigata » Wed Jun 06, 2007 15:36

it can be made also in Italy?

ispettorezenigata
Old Dear Hen

Postby efraly » Wed Jun 06, 2007 21:17

Sorry guys, i dont live in Italy but i shure do encourage you to try and let the rest of the world know what happens. 8)
efraly
Baby Hen

Postby efraly » Wed Jun 06, 2007 21:25

Before you try this verify that the phone is set up to act as a modem and not a storage unit and be sure to have a media net unlimited account or something like it or you will be paying lots of money to somebody. And yes, it works fine for me, just in case you are curious, i live in Puerto Rico. :shock:
efraly
Baby Hen

Postby ponchera » Wed Jun 06, 2007 21:32

Yes, I already use my Blackjack tethered via USB on Vista. I have the unlimited plan etc.
Now, on vista, the USB connection is set to "Active sync" not modem to go online. Do you put your blackjack on ActiveSync or modem?

I can see that it recognizes it when its set to Activesync in the network settings cause its listed as a wired network, yet when i try to conncet it just sits with a status of "57% connecting to network" and never goes pass that. It disappears and reappears.

Now i tried it gprs-easy-connect but i'm having the same issue, how do I know where the modem/com port is being set to? theirs a million options and the "auto detect" is not detecting anything.

Soo to sum things up question are
1) should the BJ be in "activesync" or "modem"
2) how do i see where ANY usb device is installed to or if its detected? (i have another issue with a usb wireless adaptr that I don't know how to / or if it has been detected)
ponchera
Baby Hen

Postby efraly » Wed Jun 06, 2007 21:46

Ponchera, you must have the cellphone set to modem in order to have gprs-easy-connect "see" it. Remember i only used gprs to verify how does sabayon configure, normally it will as /dev/ttyACM0 but it could be something else. Thats where gprs comes in with it's smart scan feature. If you browse the devices list and you can see /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB then most surely it has been configured allready. Nex step will be KPPP.
efraly
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic