Cedega 6.0 here!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mbuel » Wed Jun 06, 2007 20:27

nusse wrote:
tekwyzrd wrote:I'll go out and buy windows before I pay for a product that makes a mockery of the open source concept. At one time they claimed to contribute back to wine but they've proven themselves both liars and opportunists. As long as people continue to pay for products like this wine will never achieve it's goals.
Neither does using Windows. In fact doing what you are doing is perhaps worse at it fails to show just how many Linux gamers there truly are. Regardless of Cedega wine will get to where it needs to be and soon will surpass Cedega simply because the Wine developers are working to get the core components to work and not specific games.

I'd rather play under cedega than propogate Windows lies and their oportunists.

I don't think buying cedega shows how

So, the way I see it, Cedega is doing those who are still addicted to M$ a big favor... LOL, but then you also have Richard Stallman (the FSF founder) and his "open source" is evil rantings -- so where does it all end eh?

Hopefully in the middle. The world needs more moderation, and not extremes.
mbuel
Simple Hen

Postby davemc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 20:43

The "middle", in this case, would be for Gaming Companies to port thier stuff over to Linux so that they can run natively. This could conceivably become reality some day if, and only if, Linux desktop market share booms and the demand for Linux ported games greatly increases. Until that utopian time occurs, we are stuck with Cedega, wine, and Crossover. Try wine first, (wine game.exe), and if it doesnt work without major tweaking required, it simply doesnt work, or is beyond the scope of the average person to fix, so Cedega it is. FOSS, Open Source, whatever you wish to call it -- its all great, and im totally for it, but im a realist, just as Linus Torvalds is as well, and so as our beloved leader in the Linux world has declared "I am not against proprietary software, nor do I take any issue with it, if that is the only option left to get the solution that is required".
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby mbuel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:53

davemc wrote:The "middle", in this case, would be for Gaming Companies to port thier stuff over to Linux so that they can run natively.

certainly that would be ideal!

I have a feeling that it could happen more often than it does. Darwinia was ported which (this is a guess) seems to run off of the Half life engine. From portage you can also download the source for the engine for unreal, doom, and quake. That's a great step!

(Now I just need to dump this glitchy Radeon 8500 LE, that locks up after 10 minutes of 3D acceleration.)

This could conceivably become reality some day if, and only if, Linux desktop market share booms and the demand for Linux ported games greatly increases.

Yeah, Linux users will have to pay though, I question how many are willing too, if they are complaining about having to pay for cedega. (maybe the cedega developers could work together with a distro, to create an optimized distro for windows gaming?)

Until that utopian time occurs, we are stuck with Cedega, wine, and Crossover. Try wine first, (wine game.exe)

I've tried wine, and it works for some things. Under Kubuntu, where I couldn't get the DRI to work for the above card, Railroad Tycoon 3 ran at 1 - 3 fps. (perhaps not the best example given my driver setup.)

and if it doesnt work without major tweaking required, it simply doesnt work, or is beyond the scope of the average person to fix, so Cedega it is. FOSS, Open Source, whatever you wish to call it -- its all great, and im totally for it, but im a realist, just as Linus Torvalds is as well, and so as our beloved leader in the Linux world has declared "I am not against proprietary software, nor do I take any issue with it, if that is the only option left to get the solution that is required".

I agree with Linus, he's far more pragmatic than Stallman. The only distro, besides this one that works great with 3D and multimedia is Mepis. And it's for the same reason. They don't let the politics get in the way of the end user enjoyment of the system. If the user cares about the licensing issues, they'll choose a distro that only uses open standards.
mbuel
Simple Hen

Postby davemc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 14:04

Yeah, Linux users will have to pay though, I question how many are willing too, if they are complaining about having to pay for cedega. (maybe the cedega developers could work together with a distro, to create an optimized distro for windows gaming?)

This is not the issue. The issue is that we must pay for the game AND cedega, when you could just run the game in dual boot. None of us prefer that solution, but for some games it is the only one (unless your pretty good at command line). For those of us that love the latest and greatest games out there, were really stuck in a tight corner with M$ as the taskmaster.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby mbuel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 19:37

This is not the issue. The issue is that we must pay for the game AND cedega.

well you have to pay for the game and windows right? What if you didn't have windows, and just had linux. (not typically the situation now, I realize).

If you had to choose between buying cedega, or buying windows which would you choose?

and I don't think I made myself crystal clear, when i stated to include cedega with a distro. let me give an example.

Let's say Cedega approaches Distro X, and says; "hey for a nominal user fee, what would you think of including our software in your distribution, and setting it up to run the majority of games out of the box?"

So Distro X continues to offer a free version of their distro, but then if you pay X amount of money (some of which would go to the distro) you'd get cedega included. And it would be configured to run games optimally. (an ideal distro for that, would be a source based one.)

so you pay for cedega once, get it optimized for the distro, and get a few votes. If you want more votes, I can understand them wanting to charge for that.

I've had fairly good luck with wine though, so haven't had to touch cedega yet. (of course, I have avoided the latest and greatest games.... I'm sure somewhere inside of me, I regret not being able to play Supreme Commander or Starcraft 2.)
mbuel
Simple Hen

Postby davemc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 20:51

I would not be averse to that suggestion.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby brunschvicg » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:44

davemc wrote:So Transgaming took a little bit of open source stuff from wine and mixed it with thier BSD licensed stuff and then made it proprietary -- Good on them and I hope others can be inspired by thier successful Linux business model. They apparently decided against going full open source

Transgaming isn't distributed under a BSD-style license, it's distributed under a "you may publicly redistribute this software as pre-compiled binaries, until such times as someone actually publicly redistributes this software as pre-compiled binaries, in which case we'll change the licence so that you may not publicly redistribute this software as pre-compiled binaries"-style license: http://www.cedega.com/license.php?source=1
brunschvicg
Baby Hen

Postby davemc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 13:56

Which is nonsense. Its a BSD styled licence, which simply means that they dont have to publish the source code if they dont want to. They can phrase it in whatever legal mumbo jumbo they like but it all adds up to the same.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby brunschvicg » Tue Jun 12, 2007 14:49

davemc wrote:Its a BSD styled licence, which simply means that they dont have to publish the source code if they dont want to.

A BSD-style license places effectively no restrictions on a code's redistribution; Section 2 of TransGaming's Aladdin Free Public License places quite specific restrictions on how the Cedega code may be redistributed.

davemc wrote:They can phrase it in whatever legal mumbo jumbo they like but it all adds up to the same.

Bullshit has legs, though, particularly when the company in question's willing to threaten the FOSS community: Gentoo withdrew WineX from Portage in 2003 under pressure from TransGaming's legal department, and PCLinuxOS is careful only to package a safely out-of-date version (5.2, at the time of writing).
brunschvicg
Baby Hen

Postby mbuel » Tue Jun 12, 2007 17:06

brunschvicg wrote:
davemc wrote:Its a BSD styled licence, which simply means that they dont have to publish the source code if they dont want to.

A BSD-style license places effectively no restrictions on a code's redistribution; Section 2 of TransGaming's Aladdin Free Public License places quite specific restrictions on how the Cedega code may be redistributed.

davemc wrote:They can phrase it in whatever legal mumbo jumbo they like but it all adds up to the same.

Bullshit has legs, though, particularly when the company in question's willing to threaten the FOSS community: Gentoo withdrew WineX from Portage in 2003 under pressure from TransGaming's legal department, and PCLinuxOS is careful only to package a safely out-of-date version (5.2, at the time of writing).

are they trying to emulate microsoft? I have no problem with a company making money, but this BS, is ridiculous.

Thankfully, I think in a couple more wine versions they'll be redundant. Wine runs DX8 stuff really well, and DX9 stuff is just around the corner.

hell wine works so well, that it has the same installshield bugs.

I installed Railroad Tycoon 3 last night, and it got stuck in the same loop it did on the windows machine, if you click no for installing DX 8.1
mbuel
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic