Cedega 6.0 here!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby davemc » Sat Apr 14, 2007 23:41

random guy wrote:if only i had a recent game title to test it out on. recomendations?

Yep. Try out Oblivion! If you want to try out Dark age of Camelot thats great just join the Bors server and you will find me on Albion by the name of Tempesst or Boozerman! Send me a tell in game and ill hook you up with plevel and gear.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby random guy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:10

So how is that any different than alot of other distro's that charge for the "full" version or for other services of it such as SuSe, Red Hat, PCLos (with their new subscriber only repo's), Pioneer, and others. Governments also use Linux extensively and make massive changes to the source code without reposting back a single line of it due to classification issues and nobody cares about that either.

that is a really good point. cedega seems pretty nice to me, ya they dont release all the code but they do release enough to hopefully help wine out some.

PCLos (with their new subscriber only repo's)

oh i didnt know that, i tried out test 2 and liked it a lot, it wasnt as good as sabayon but it was pretty good in that it was a very uniform theme and such. was a nice distro. this is upsetting though. i will have to check it out some and see if it is a seperate repo that has more stuff or if it is just faster because the later would be fine with me but the former would be bad,

Yep. Try out Oblivion! If you want to try out Dark age of Camelot thats great just join the Bors server and you will find me on Albion by the name of Tempesst or Boozerman! Send me a tell in game and ill hook you up with plevel and gear.

well i got 2 weeks of classes left and then finals. i may or may not get it but if i do get it though i will be sure to send you a message and have some fun. thanks.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby random guy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:16

hey i just posted a suggestion here

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... 6722#36722

about how it would be cool if we got a lot of sabayon users together for a game day, probably ut2004 becasue it is on hte live disk. i guess we could find an empty or near empty server somewhere. what you guys think?
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby davemc » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:33

Just an update to the Oblivion in Cedega 6.0 thing. I have found that if you need to set the Cedega installer to WinXP and make sure that ALSA and pixel shader 2.0 is set. When you get ready to play, setting the screen res to whatever your native res is helps tons, along with setting at least some AntiAliasing. Right now I have the game on "Medium" settings and x4 AA and it is running flawlessly! I have already cleared the first 2 dungeons with an Orc hybrid conjuror that has a knack for smashing things up with his 2H warhammer fairly well flinging the occaisional fireball just for kicks. 8) I got some lockups when I tried out "High" settings but since adjusting down have had no issues at all.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby random guy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:47

i need to upgrade my system. it is just plain too old. no dvd drive, p4 2.4 ghz, 256 ram. i can run commad and conquer 3 demo fine (in windows, didnt try emulating the demo in linux) and it handles beryl and such as it should but in modern gaming it either needs an upgrade or to be put to rest in light of another...

so when games start releasing for directx10 cedega will be in trouble to have to emulate a completely different version.

by the way i have heard some good things about X3 from another engineering student here. it is coming to linux natively in may.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby davemc » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:38

Your system would have no trouble with either World of Warcraft or Dark age, but would have issues running Oblivion on anything other than poor settings most likely. Upgrade your RAM and it should siginificantly increase its performance.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby tekwyzrd » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16

davemc wrote:Cedega does contribute back. Regardless you CAN get most the games working in wine, like Oblivion, but you have to do all the work. All Cedega really does is preset all that crap for you using the stuff mostly already available in the newer versions of wine. In fact, I posted the link on how to get Oblivion up and running with full functionality in wine a week before Cedega 6.0 went live. Dont confuse the meaning of open source with a companies efforts to try to make money using it, which is perfectly acceptable and even strongly encouraged.

From http://www.winehq.com/?issue=329

Cedega 6.0 & Wine Benchmarks Archive
Testing

There's a little topic that doesn't get covered much here. In fact, it's something that doesn't really get covered anywhere and it's probably time to try to set the record straight. We'll start with the Slashdot announcement of Transgaming's Cedega 6.0 which read:

Today Transgaming introduced Cedega 6.0, which is the popular Linux game emulator based upon WINE.

Here's the facts you need to know about Wine & Cedega:

* Cedega's core is based off the original Wine tree and was forked in 2002. There are several core components that no longer share a similarity with Wine as it exists today.
* Transgaming has not actively contributed to Wine in about 5 years with the exception of a few patches (less than 5 a year.)

So any time I hear Wine and Cedega in the same sentence I kind of cringe. They're really two different codebases at this point. Why is that? Well, it all goes back to Wine changing it's licensing from X11 (BSD-style) to the LGPL about 5 years ago. See WWN issues #115 , #116 , and #117 for more info. So Wine switched it's license, Transgaming kept using the old codebase, and now the two have diverged. Except.. Transgaming has realized that some of the stuff created by Wine is necessary and they've imported specific DLL's into their codebase and kept them under the LGPL license. Wine's modular DLL architecture allows that pretty easily.

Okay, so the code is different. How about the relationship between the two projects? Despite rumblings that might appear here and there on the mailing list, the relaionship isn't that bad. Really it's more that there isn't a relationship, however there doesn't seem to be animosity between the two groups. The last in-depth communications (public at least) seemed to have been in 2004 when Gav State came to WineConf 2004. At the time he basically pitched a few technical changes for Wine and all of them were shot down. While the two projects were diverging before that, that was probably the event that ensured the two projects would go their own ways.

Okay, so now you know some of the background. Saying that Cedega is based off Wine technicallly isn't incorrect, but it does imply that Cedega has all the new architecture of Wine that's happened in the past half decade.

So much for the claims that Cedega contributes to WINE. They take the advances made, incorporate them, make a profit, and give little or nothing back.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby davemc » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:14

So Transgaming took a little bit of open source stuff from wine and mixed it with thier BSD licensed stuff and then made it proprietary -- Good on them and I hope others can be inspired by thier successful Linux business model. They apparently decided against going full open source, and thats fine because they are free to use the software however they please under the BSD licence and are not required to contribute back jack diddly squat under it. The fact is however that Wine has now evolved to the point where whatever can run in Cedega, can also run in it with a fair amount of hacking, such as Oblivion and pretty much all the major titles out there. I guess its apples and oranges now because you now have Crossover in the mix too so if you are more comfortable lining CVS's pockets then do that instead -- however, Crossover does not focus development on gaming so alot of big titles wont work in it as they do in Cedega. In any case, this whole deal is about running Windows apps in Linux -- not exactly a "noble" cause by any stretch because that means you are still contributing back to M$ and also supporting thier puppet companies. So, the way I see it, Cedega is doing those who are still addicted to M$ a big favor... LOL, but then you also have Richard Stallman (the FSF founder) and his "open source" is evil rantings -- so where does it all end eh?
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby Darksurf » Sat May 05, 2007 5:31

I'd use Cedega, not crossover. I'd use WINE before Crossover. I'd personally rather just use WINE all the way, but I don't know all the tweaking that needs to be done. It would be nice if it were like sabayon and "just worked".
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Looks nice

Postby WarraWarra » Sun May 13, 2007 6:32

I just tried it and it looks much better than the 5 version.

Will likely see a huge improvement for Steam and UT2004 , now where is my steam account login .

Tried Command and Conquer 3 tiberium wars but no luck got stuck windows installer ?? something .
The rating shows it is not working well yet darn so much fun this game.

Any idea if FEAR will work on here or FEAR Combat the free online multi player . Last time I checked FEAR installer had issues not the game.

Graw should not even be tried as it will turn most decent pc's into a kitchen / oven in windoze , strains my Dell E1705 core duo 2.16ghz nvidia 7800gtx to pieces .

Either way I first have to get dellfand or i8kfangui to work properly on my laptop before I should even try this.

Almost fried it today gpu at 92C and cpu close to 80C never mind ram and chipset into the 60+C while compiling.

If all else fails there is always XEN and windoze on it.

TY DaveMC for pointing me in right direction and for the install tip.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic