Cedega 6.0 here!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Cedega 6.0 here!

Postby davemc » Wed Apr 11, 2007 19:06

This month we bring you Cedega 6.0, with a feature list so thick it nearly gave our marketing department carpal tunnel syndrome from typing it all. Highlights include many long-awaited poll items like Shader Model 2.0 support, an FBO rewrite, and audio enhancements like support for ALSA Dmix with mmap. We've addressed a number of issues with newer distributions in the UI, and added support for Battlefield 2142, Need for Speed: Carbon, Madden NFL 07, and out-of-the-box support of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Head on over to http://Cedega.com/ to see all of the cool new features, and grab your copy today. Then, while you're waiting for it to download, head back here to read up on what your Cedega development team was up to this month.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Wed Apr 11, 2007 22:20

Nice!
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby davemc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:50

Sweet now how to install it since there is no ebuild on portage?!
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby tekwyzrd » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:22

I'll go out and buy windows before I pay for a product that makes a mockery of the open source concept. At one time they claimed to contribute back to wine but they've proven themselves both liars and opportunists. As long as people continue to pay for products like this wine will never achieve it's goals.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby nusse » Thu Apr 12, 2007 17:38

tekwyzrd wrote:I'll go out and buy windows before I pay for a product that makes a mockery of the open source concept. At one time they claimed to contribute back to wine but they've proven themselves both liars and opportunists. As long as people continue to pay for products like this wine will never achieve it's goals.
Neither does using Windows. In fact doing what you are doing is perhaps worse at it fails to show just how many Linux gamers there truly are. Regardless of Cedega wine will get to where it needs to be and soon will surpass Cedega simply because the Wine developers are working to get the core components to work and not specific games.

I'd rather play under cedega than propogate Windows lies and their oportunists.
nusse
Baby Hen

Postby davemc » Thu Apr 12, 2007 19:38

Cedega does contribute back. Regardless you CAN get most the games working in wine, like Oblivion, but you have to do all the work. All Cedega really does is preset all that crap for you using the stuff mostly already available in the newer versions of wine. In fact, I posted the link on how to get Oblivion up and running with full functionality in wine a week before Cedega 6.0 went live. Dont confuse the meaning of open source with a companies efforts to try to make money using it, which is perfectly acceptable and even strongly encouraged.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby davemc » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:16

Heres how to install the GUI.

"Installing Cedega - The quick and dirty way, no portage.

After downloading Cedega, you will have a file of the form 'cedega_x.x-x.ix86.tgz' (where x are numbers). This is a compressed file which will have to be decompressed to the root directory. To view the contents of the file before decompressing it (after all it's the root directory we're talking about), execute the following:

tar -tzf cedega-small_x.x-x.ix86.tgz | less

Then, having verified the output, extract it. The easiest way to do this is to execute the following command as root:

tar -xvzpf cedega-small_x.x-x.ix86.tgz -C /"

Pretty easy. You have to have both the GUI and engine at 6.0 for the changes to really take effects and boy... Oblivion now runs like a champ!
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby random guy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 13:16

you guys have to remember that although cedega does cost money for binaries it still releasses the source code which is really cool. wine developers need only look at the cedega source really.

i am happy cedega exists and would be interested in using it. i was not aware davemc that it was so easy to isntall cedega without portage though. i dont imagine seeing many gentoo people paying if it is that easy but i do hope a good number of people will donate either to cedega or wine.

if only i had a recent game title to test it out on. recomendations?
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 16:01

random guy wrote:you guys have to remember that although cedega does cost money for binaries it still releasses the source code which is really cool. wine developers need only look at the cedega source really.

i am happy cedega exists and would be interested in using it. i was not aware davemc that it was so easy to isntall cedega without portage though. i dont imagine seeing many gentoo people paying if it is that easy but i do hope a good number of people will donate either to cedega or wine.

if only i had a recent game title to test it out on. recomendations?

According to the info on their website, source for part of it is available but it does not include certain components including their directx implementation and the gui which are only available to paying customers.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby davemc » Sat Apr 14, 2007 21:04

So how is that any different than alot of other distro's that charge for the "full" version or for other services of it such as SuSe, Red Hat, PCLos (with their new subscriber only repo's), Pioneer, and others. Governments also use Linux extensively and make massive changes to the source code without reposting back a single line of it due to classification issues and nobody cares about that either.
davemc
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Off Topic