Beryl - Merge is On with Compwiz

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Beryl - Merge is On with Compwiz

Postby wolfden » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:14

Well, I've read all the arguments, and I think I may have been being overly
cautious. It is indeed a concern that we might lose our freedom in
a 'merge', but I have been convinced that it isn't a major concern (and of
course we reserve the right to re-fork).

We do indeed need to choose a third, new name in a merge, and of course
(again) rename the beryl-named components, for the obvious reasons.

I hope that we can execute this in a way that the average user sticks with it
and isn't overwhelmed / doesn't feel left behind.

The only real question in my mind right now is what we should do at/about UDS.
I am sure there is still reason for us to attend, as I doubt the merge will
be complete by then, especially with so much code, and so many processes to
go through. I also believe that beryl's user-focused model is better for
Ubuntu, and that having Beryl devs going will give Ubuntu a good working
relationship with people in the new project who can keep things on track for
them and their goals (and especially their users)

I know this is kinda a flip-flop from my last position, but its because I
actually have paid attention to what the various people have commented on the
obby document, etc.

I hope for good things in the future for all of us.

--Quinn

http://lists.beryl-project.org/pipermai ... 00356.html

New Name Coral it sounds like and sounds like they are gonna focus on Ubuntu

Comments?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Well.........

Postby invar9 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:01

I saw in a post a wile back that Quinn was using Sabayon as the development os for Beryl. I would hope she would continue this. Personally, I think it will slow down the releases for beryl but I do hope it improves the inovations in compiz. I was wondering what impact this will have on KDE 4? I have read it was suppose to have the "3-D desktop" like beryl and compiz?

I guess we will see.
invar9
Growing Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:18

:( What a kick in the face.
Ubuntu is the biggest piece of cr4p I ever had the misfortune and bad judgement to install. It's popularity is proof of the dropping IQ of the world's population. Ubuntu reminded me of Win95 only dumbed down to a third grade level. It should be obvious that they'll have to drop most of the features because it'll be too complicated for the average Ubuntu user. Arrgh, I can just imagine the ugly gnome components it'll turn into. Even the new name sucks.
Last edited by tekwyzrd on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:27, edited 1 time in total.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:23

tekwyzrd wrote::( What a kick in the face.
Ubuntu is the biggest piece of cr4p I ever had the misfortune and bad judgement to install. It's popularity is proof of the dropping IQ of the world's population. Ubuntu reminded me of Win95 only dumbed down to a third grade level. It should be obvious that they'll have to drop most of the features because it'll be too complicated for the average Ubuntu user. Arrgh, I can just imagine the ugly gnome components it'll turn into.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tears rolling down my cheek

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby tekwyzrd » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:38

It looks like it may be time for me to install Project Looking Glass

Arrrgggh! You can't go ANYWHERE without having Ubuntu thrown in your face.
It's becoming some kind of fanatical cult or something.

https://lg3d-core.dev.java.net/binary-builds.html
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:15

Here's the Ubuntu version, currently Uberyl. The name change would make it Ucoral. Blekkh..
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby davemc » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:58

Whats the point of this? Does this mean that all development for beryl will be for/by Ubuntu? If so, that spells bad things for the Linux world IMO. Ubuntu snubbed beryl for 7.04 due to stability issues. Sorry, but this reeks the smell of M$ type business practices. Maybe y'all cant look into the future too far and see how things tend to develop, but Canonical is a business in the end, and is looking to make some $$. One would be foolish indeed to believe that they are sponsoring the Buntu's out of sheer good will LOL!!!!
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby tekwyzrd » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:22

davemc wrote:Whats the point of this? Does this mean that all development for beryl will be for/by Ubuntu? If so, that spells bad things for the Linux world IMO. Ubuntu snubbed beryl for 7.04 due to stability issues. Sorry, but this reeks the smell of M$ type business practices. Maybe y'all cant look into the future too far and see how things tend to develop, but Canonical is a business in the end, and is looking to make some $$. One would be foolish indeed to believe that they are sponsoring the Buntu's out of sheer good will LOL!!!!

Just look at the Beryl Roadmap

At this time most development is starting to lean toward getting ready for possible inclusion in Ubuntu by default. Generally the Ubuntu community has requested certain features and bug fixes and these have been moved to the top of the priority list.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby R3MF » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:08

good news.

compositing in sabayon and others will be less flakey (because the core is compiz based), and the community get all the funky effects (because the quinn acolytes are bevearing away).
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby ExZen » Sat Mar 24, 2007 14:33

Not a big fan of this. I don't understand the need to focus on Ubuntu either. I liked that compiz and beryl were rivals, it sort of provided an extra impetus to be the best. Now, however, it seems like they're only concerned about being the best if thats what Ubuntu wants...

Oh well, hope it works out for the best. If not, I'm sure an alternative will be made available.
ExZen
Young Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic