Whats in the works to compete with Vista?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby davemc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:12

igknighted wrote:
Gaming is on the outs for PCs.

LOL!! You know I heard that line about 10 years ago when the game box company's were trying to brainwash folks into purchasing their crap gear. PC Games will always be top dog and they are typically the best of the best and first to be tried..cutting edge stuff. You can have your stupid Wii and blacken someones eye or break your TV screen with it because Wii is going to die, and die FAST! PS3 costs here alot of cash and each game for it is not cheap either. On a PC I can have an unlimited number of games free and those few I really like to pay for too. MMORPG's will allways be the domain of PC's as well, and that is all I play anyway. Hmm, at last count 7 MILLION World of Warcraft subscribers! Add on that same number or even double it with all the other MMORPG's now. Triple that number a year from now when Warhammer comes out. Warhammer will be exclusively for PC's. I dont think WoW is on PS3 (might be wrong here), but the PC will allways be the preferred method to play it. Dark age of Camelot, my game, exclusively PC. Many many more big titles...Exclusively PC.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:16

hmmmm aren't the xbox, ps3 etc... really computers too?

mobo, graphics, hard drive, os, seems like a computer to me :?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby epsilon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:26

wolfden wrote:hmmmm aren't the xbox, ps3 etc... really computers too?

i dont have any console, but if them have all of this, then are computers, but out of every computer standard.
epsilon
Baby Hen

Postby davemc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:48

wolfden wrote:hmmmm aren't the xbox, ps3 etc... really computers too?

They have chips and RAM. They have locked in programs. You can only use them for the specific application they are programmed for and nothing else. Waste of good cash IMO.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:28

Well if I remember right people turned the xbox into a perfectly working linux box, keyboard and all attachments.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby davemc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 15:36

Lets compare:

Sony's next system to come in two configurations, 20GB hard drive-equipped version to cost $499, 60GB hard drive-equipped model to go for $599.

CPU: Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
Total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
GPU: RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Memory:
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

Disc Media:
CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Now desktops:

DELL Dimension C521
$359.00
80G HD
AMD 3400 Sempron
Preloaded Windows Vista
NVIDIA Geforce 6150 LE
512MB DDR SDRAM at 533Mhz

OR

Dimension E521
$569.00
AMD dual core 3200 Athlon
Preloaded Vista
Same video card
Same RAM
80GB HD
2 yr. DELL Warrenty

OR

HP Pavilion Slimline s7700y
$449.99
Intel Core Duo T2060
Windows Vista
Free 15” flat panel display
Free shipping
Free printer
SODIMM Ram up to 2GB
160GB HD minimum at 7200rpm
48x CD-RW
16X Lightscribe
USB Mem card reader
Speakers
TV tuner w/remote
NVIDIA 7300LE @256MB VRAM

As you can see here, you get ALOT more bang for the buck going with a desktop. Not to mention the multi-tasking you get with PC over the box which is limited, even with a linux system running on its limited resources -- xfce or fluxbox maybe? Its doable sure, but not efficient.
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby tabrown72 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 15:49

I agree with what you are saying from my own personal use. I don't see the sense in spending $400-$600 for a gaming machine when what I want to do can be done on a computer in an environment I can setup to my own liking.

That being said there are advantages of using a gaming rig over a computer.

It integrates better with a home entertainment set up

Display output is a no brainer (usually)

Most today are upgradeable with external devices.

Games look beter and play better from a couch with a wireless controller, without having to go into a complicated setup on a computer, setting up dual or quad video cards.

And from what I've seen lately the most popular games are becoming console specific and may never be released for the computer.
tabrown72
Simple Hen

Postby davemc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 15:56

tabrown72 wrote:And from what I've seen lately the most popular games are becoming console specific and may never be released for the computer.

What popular games? Im not into Super Mario Brothers or its new generation clone. Quake and its like are all on the PC and started there. EQ I think can be done on them, but why spend 600 bucks for something that only does one aspect of what a desktop is capable of?
davemc
Sharecropper

Postby epsilon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 21:55

tabrown72 wrote:It integrates better with a home entertainment set up

I agree. What kind of sound system does it have? can reproduce divx with subtitles?
epsilon
Baby Hen

Postby mars » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:33

Jesterhead wrote:...the Documention of the Windows API isnt fully correct or complete...

that is an understatement! omglmao :lol:
mars
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic