found old 3.5 sabayon iso in backups...fun times

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

found old 3.5 sabayon iso in backups...fun times

Postby anomaly65 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01

Gotta have a little fun. Was simply glancing once in a while as I rsync'ed a 4Tbyte raid array to a replacement (12Tbytes) now in place. Saw the 3.5 ISO for sabayon go by. Brings back memories :) I have to admit, I'm tempted to just boot it up and see what it looks like (I did like the red theme from back in those days!).

Fun stuff, recent history I suppose compared to a few early gentoo, slackware, and solaris, hp/ux and a few other distros that no longer exist, still around in the files..... Perhaps it's time to do some cleanup :)

cheers,
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Re: found old 3.5 sabayon iso in backups...fun times

Postby manifesto » Wed Jun 12, 2013 14:56

You should install and try equo upgrade !
However I think you need now unused equo bump or something like that to bump to version 5.
manifesto
Growing Hen

Postby joost » Wed Jun 12, 2013 22:47

No way you can upgrade it.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:53

I had to have a look and found a 3.4e DVD from August 2007. I shall see if it boots and loads. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 14:12

Such fun..... Was looking around the "pile" of stuff to see if anything old enough was still around to run it :-)
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 17:23

I was pleasantly surprised when it booted on one of my machines (a Dell Inspiron 530). It has a large wide screen monitor and I couldn't get the right resolution and it also didn't recognize my ethernet card but it did recognize the built in audio. It did load a small thumb drive though and was very responsive. A real few minutes of nostagia. Sadly I can't upload a screen capture ("Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.")
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Jun 14, 2013 16:28

Just host it elsewhere (like http://imgur.com/ ) and link it. Those sites are much better for uploading photos than a forum anyway.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 17:33

I liked the red background of the old Sabayon versions. Although "Blue" is often initially pleasing to the eye, due to the shorter wavelength of blue light, its focal point is ever so slightly in front of your eye's retina (thus very slightly out of focus; like those of us over age 40 see every day when trying to read!!), which makes it tend to be more blurry.

(that's why sunglasses which block the blue end of the spectrum "seem" to make your vision more crisp, among other things). All in good fun though. Maybe this weekend I'll pop it onto a virtualbox machine and see what it looked like :)
--
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 15:16

Here are my screenshots:

http://sabayon-user.blogspot.co.uk/

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Off Topic