Dropping 32Bit support?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Dropping 32Bit support?

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Thu May 02, 2013 7:50

The point is, that 32Bit support binds developers' ressources, so in the long run it will be dropped.

See the announcement on the mailing list.

For now it will be supported one more year, but you're better off to migrate to 64Bit.
This way the ressources could be spended in ARM-support (you know, tablets and such stuff).
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Re: Dropping 32Bit support?

Postby dunsurfin » Thu May 02, 2013 16:27

Ryuno-Ki wrote: but you're better off to migrate to 64Bit.

Don't you mean buy a new motherboard and processor and then migrate to 64 bit?

I understand the reasoning, it will just be very expensive to renew two of my three PCs.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Thu May 02, 2013 20:55

Yepp, that said.

Well, I guess, not all developers are happy with my communicating to the community, but I'd like to give the users a chance, to plan. Fabio just spoke of moving the decission another year in the future, so maybe it will be even longer supported. But that's not for sure.

I know, how expensive migrations are. But it's easier to handle, if you know, that a change must be done (saving money for it and so on).
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon May 27, 2013 13:22

Coming back on this with an embarrassing admission. All of my machines support 64bit. When I bought the two Dell machines I just assumed they were 32bit because they came with 32bit Windows. I now find that all (I think it's all) Intel dual core processors support 64bit. :oops: So I'm now in the process of installing 64 bit on them all. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:07

If you ask me, I use 64 bit OS since 2006...
A poll would be nice to see how many 32bit CPUs are still among us, compared to how many 32bit Sabayon are still installed...
Many of the users don't know that they have 64bit able CPUs, I'm sure.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:44

I've had no trouble putting 64bit onto the machines that I thought would only run 32bit. I have noticed no change but at least I am future proofed for a year or so.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31

Usually, 64bit means more resources for the same thing.
But in my case, I did not see any significant change in RAM usage.
It could be faster if you work with 64bit data as it transfers double amount of data per computation compared to 32bit.
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Return to Off Topic