Sabayon vs Archlinux

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Sabayon vs Archlinux

Post by Johnny Who » Sun Apr 14, 2013 14:22

Well, some of you may have noticed of my absence from the forums and irc (and of my constant leeching :lol: ) during the last 3 weeks. Well, during these 3 weeks I have been using Archlinux, which I have found easy to use and a bit faster than sabayon. But (there is always a BUT...), it doesn `t feel like home, I have to admit. So, I am almost ready to come back. But, after trying arch, I am afraid I will find sabayon slow. But I have read some discussions over here about systemd, whicj are quite encouraging as far as boot times are concerned (I am quite a fan of systemd now :bom: ). Or probably my problems with sabayon performance were due to the fact that I was running sabayon 64bit on a coreduo with 2GB RAM? Or is it due to some weird cflags (funrolls, etc) I have noticed in make.conf? My current Arch system is running on i686 right now, and if I get sabayon, I will probably get the i686 edition, too (I am downloading it right now). Another concern of mine is, also, that, with Arch, I have become a control freak, and if I install sabayon I will start from spinbase. But can I tweak some things with ease, such as, disable the framebuffer images, use wicd instead of NetworkManager, etc? Sabayon is constantly calling me back, but I am afraid I will miss some features of Archlinux. What do you think? :roll:

lxnay
Land Owner

Re: Sabayon vs Archlinux

Post by lxnay » Sun Apr 14, 2013 15:29

Using 32bit distros nowadays is pointless. Why are you hurting yourself so bad? i686 makes no sense at all on any x86_64 CPU.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

pandev92
Young Hen

Post by pandev92 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 16:55

After use 6 months archlinux, now I'm using sabayon and I do not regret it. For me sabayon is more stable, fast and user friendly.

Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Post by Johnny Who » Sun Apr 14, 2013 17:39

Using 32bit distros nowadays is pointless. Why are you hurting yourself so bad? i686 makes no sense at all on any x86_64 CPU.
This is quite a point of debate. 64bit operating systems consume considerably more memory, performance loss by using more ram is outweighted only if you have more than 4 GB RAM. Although this is not exactly correct (due to the differences in assembly), this is my current choice. :alien: Also, when will systemd be available to official repos?

Ryuno-Ki
Old Dear Hen

Post by Ryuno-Ki » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:07

Johnny Who wrote:But can I tweak some things with ease, such as, disable the framebuffer images, use wicd instead of NetworkManager, etc?
Maybe pure Gentoo is a better choice then (USE-Flags and so on).
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 23:27

64-bit Linux on 64-bit CPUs is the way to go. Multilib means that you can still run 32-bit apps like Skype anyway.

Ubuntu 11.04: i686 vs. i686 PAE vs. x86_64
Michael Larabel wrote:It is not new or surprising that the x86_64 Ubuntu is much faster than i686 Ubuntu on supported hardware, but it is somewhat surprising that Canonical continues to push the 32-bit version as the "recommended" version of Ubuntu from their web-site, etc. Most hardware shipping in recent times is 64-bit capable and there really is no reason not to use the version.
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS: 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance
Michael Larabel wrote:The performance advantage of 64-bit over 32-bit Ubuntu is clear. If you are still running the 32-bit version on 64-bit capable hardware you should really consider switching with the "Precise Pangolin" now that the 64-bit Flash is on par with the 32-bit version, OpenJDK works well on 64-bit, etc.
Ubuntu 12.10: 32-bit vs. 64-bit Linux Performance
Michael Larabel wrote:Hopefully with Ubuntu 12.10 the 64-bit version will be better promoted by default over the 32-bit version. The 64-bit version of Ubuntu Linux is generally much faster, all modern x86 hardware supports 64-bit instructions, and previous major limitations of 64-bit Linux have all since been addressed.

life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Post by life-on-mars » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:55

Johnny Who wrote: Sabayon is constantly calling me back, but I am afraid I will miss some features of Archlinux. What do you think? :roll:
I think instead of comparing Sabayon and Archlinux, it would be easier to compare Sabayon with an Arch-based distro like Manjaro, as its philosophy is closer to Sabayon's (at least according to what's written on the websites of both distros).

If you're looking for a distro that gives you full control, Gentoo might be a better choice. Even if you start with Sabayon spinbase, it's not really giving you much control, unless you recompile everything, and in that case you'll end up with Gentoo anyway.

I just installed Manjaro on a 10 year old computer, and it's faster (a lot faster) than any of my 32bit Sabayon installations (which have at least twice the CPU power). I wonder if any of the devs still have/use older computers. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't, or don't run Sabayon on them.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖

eor2004
Simple Hen

Post by eor2004 » Fri May 09, 2014 15:36

Johnny Who wrote:probably my problems with sabayon performance were due to the fact that I was running sabayon 64bit on a coreduo with 2GB RAM?
See my signature, no problems @ all, system is very fast, well, caja does take a while opening the first time, but after opening the first time it is very responsive!
Sabayon Linux MATE 64-bit
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L-->2gb ram
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.60ghz-->E5300
WD-6400AAKS-Caviar-SE16-640gb-->XFS filesystem