My computers are not smart phones-tell gnome3 and kde4 this

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My computers are not smart phones-tell gnome3 and kde4 t

Postby wolfden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09

I don't care for most DE default apps, I use my preferred apps.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Matte88 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 13:12

wolfden wrote:I don't care for most DE default apps, I use my preferred apps.

Yup!
Would be nice a QT browser fully integrated into KDE environment+ecosystem, but I use Opera, not Konqueror neither Rekonq.
Would be nice a QT mail-client fully integrated into KDE environment+ecosystem, but I use a GTK one (Thunderbird), not KMail.
Would be nice a QT PDF reader fully integrated into KDE environment+ecosystem, but I use Adobe Reader, not Okular.
And so on... :roll:
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 13:16

I agree, that especially KDE is a desktop DE. So, in times today with a good hardware, enough RAM and if ever possible, an SSD, KDE could be first choice for a Linux user. KDE is an eye candy and has many more options than every Windows ever had and most applications work (sorry I don't mean KMail, lol). But for KMail there is Thunderbird, why not?
I use KDE since version 1.1. In between I tried Gnome (2) but because the GUI did not work hand in hand with its apps, I stopped to try fast. Many problems of hardware have been solved with the latest Kernels and since KDE 4.8 and up the DE itself has been fixed in some big bugs.
Sure, there are still wishes, I have, e.g, I want to send files FROM laptop TO phone with bluetooth (from phone to laptop it works), KMail should finally run like I've heard it did in KDE 3.5.
I do many things with my KDE (4.10.1) like dvb-t with Kaffeine, viewing mkv files, using Chromium for internet, I use KOrganizer in combination with Google, LibreOffice, midnight commander as well as Dolphin. I love the Klipper with 500 entries. I use Skype. I have several plasmoids and Superkaramba applets running.
And due to my Canon and it's Windows printer driver for printing postcards, I run Windows XP in a Virtual Box.
This all is only possible to handle for me with several virtual screens, which a tablet does not offer in a minimum I'd need it. And I use all of it ... every single day...
For all this, I admire the work of the KDE developers and also the Sabayon creators.
Give KDE the hardware it deserves and you will not being disappointed. In my case I use:
Acer V3-571 with Core i5, 8GByte RAM, 240 GByte Intel SSD and NVidia GT630M, Boot time from Power On to DE is 40 secs include manual login.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby nachoig » Tue Apr 02, 2013 13:58

Adobe Reader???? No, thanks. It's very poor mantained. Flash Player is more than sufficient, I don't want more Adobe's crap. There 2 options here: Evince and Okular.

Yeah, I don't abot DE apps too, but in the essential I need to care: documment and image viewers, file manager, calendar and volume control. With Xfce this is not possible.

Also, a powerful desktop is welcome. Kickoff, KRunner, desktop search....

And it's not necessary a powerful hardware to run KDE SC. I use it here with an Athlon 64 3000+, 2 GB of memory and GeForce GT 430.
nachoig
Simple Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Tue Apr 02, 2013 18:57

Matte88 wrote:Would be nice a QT mail-client fully integrated into KDE environment+ecosystem, but I use a GTK one (Thunderbird), not KMail.

Isn't it written in XUL (which is mapped to GTK)?
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby lexonight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 0:28

well I use Gnome3 in fallback mode.
I do miss the Gnome2 days and the kde3 days.
Lxde is nice and i used it alot, xfce is pretty good.
With all these "improvements" ( improvements, as in, it's not a bug, it's a feature ) I am learning to love the terminal, gets things done way faster. big fan of nano, but hopefully will graduate to vim.
It's just funny how shortcuts have turned into a whole new terminolgy :D
lexonight
Baby Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27

lexonight wrote:I am learning to love the terminal, gets things done way faster. big fan of nano, but hopefully will graduate to vim.

Right. And I enjoy the output, I receive via CLI.
My tipp for learning vim: Use it.
I'm on it, too. Just start using it. Search on demand for the keystrokes you need and get things done. Maybe backup your files before.
Oh, and then there is the vimtutor command.

lexonight wrote:It's just funny how shortcuts have turned into a whole new terminolgy :D

Cheat Sheets :mrgreen:
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby Matte88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 0:55

Ryuno-Ki wrote:Cheat Sheets :mrgreen:
Useful! :wink: Thanks!
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby Arath » Sun Aug 04, 2013 17:03

I get a bit disgusted by the new GNOME. I've tried some additional desktop enviroments since I started using Linux again. I've always liked Xfce, but now I have also taken a liking to Lxde.

It doesn't go beyond a personal opinion, so if other people like the new GNOME I don't care, but I think it is a shame that they went away from the old setup. I used gnome a lot before I stopped using Linux a few years back.
Arath
Baby Hen

Postby wintermute » Wed Aug 14, 2013 16:30

personally, i don't see all this as a big of a problem.. i am fortunate that i actually like the gnome shell i suppose, as of after 3.4 at least.. have used kde, not my kind of thing, too "tiring" for my taste and use case, undoubtedly a refined desktop nevertheless, especially it's feedback loops and the crazy levels of customizability.. i have started on gnome2 in ubuntu's better days but feel no nostalgia for it.. for those that do there is mate.. xfce i do actually use on an old thinkpad running debian stable, where it feels right, but wouldn't use it on more recent hardware, both because of some functionality that i really need on my workstations (as silly as it may sound, hotcorners with exposélike (spread or however it is called) is a lifesaver in my workflow, which unless you set elementary's gala or an equivalent alternative wm, you do not have in xface) and it feels like being stuck in the nineties.. lxde never made too much sense to me since it is basically openbox with a panel and default set of basic applications (i rather make myself a #!like openbox desktop of my own or use fluxbox) but it is there as a valid solid option (very happy about the "merger" with razor qt, as a nice contrast to all the recent splitting and forking that double and triple the resources needed for projects, slowing them down and add to confusion and compatibility issues, achieving the one and the same thing in the end with limited quality (the gnome project criticized here against cinnamon, consort, pantheon, what have you, instead of developing better gnome base and customizing through extensions being the most obvious)).. then there are the "weird ones".. numerous boxes and window managers.. big and small.. tiling, stacking, like this like that..
my point being.. there is really choice, for better or worse, available to users of linux distributions, literally infinite considering that if none of the available fit one's needs, a modified version of the existing or a completely new take is always a possibility..
so, imho, unlike the windows users or, perhaps less so but just the same fundamentally, of os x, we are not "stuck" with whatever de we might not appreciate and the option to modify, tweek and make a solution for one self is clearly present, even encouraged.. the diversity and the openness here renders complaints like these irrelevant.. i feel especially for the gnome team that has despite all the hate reflecting in this thread also, managed to build a solid and an original (as in not directly imitating other solutions) desktop environment, functional (stays out of users way) and arguably beautiful (clean ui principles, integration, feedback loops) that i choose to use and enjoy, with a healthy view to the inevitable trends futureproofing it (to come back to the title of the thread, yes your computer is not a tablet nor a smartphone but, how many laptops do you think will come without a touchscreen as standard equipment in another year of two??)..
wintermute
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Off Topic