Little disapointment with update

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

BBOSAK2143
Baby Hen

Little disapointment with update

Post by BBOSAK2143 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 13:30

Yesterday the update manager came up with available updates. After the update I noticed I no longer had my weather indicator on the Gnome taskbar. I then went into advanced settings and was very dismayed and disappointed at what I saw!
I understand that there are some issues with Gnome desktop, as unfortunately it does not appear that the developers worked all the bugs out before releasing it! Anyway getting to the point, in advanced setting this update totally disabled 6 settings in the shell extensions. My largest disappointment? The updates did not notify me in anyway that this method of putting the fancy triangles and totally disabling in the shell. Personally, I would have rather received one of those warnings to use at your own risk! I mean I know for a fact the temperature indicator was a problem, but I was using with caution and disabling when doing higher functions. Now, I don't have that choice! It has been taken away from me! That is the part is hard to take! I spent time finding that indicator cause I wanted it! Not because I didn't care if an update would just assume I don't want it no more! So, I say boo and double boo to that update! Sure there were tons of settings in those extensions, ones I really don't care about and are disable now, but my biggest point is PLEASE NOTIFY BEFORE DISABLING! Is the right thing to do! Also my desktop theme was messed with which is another thing that is my decision! It is my computer and I should be the one that decides how it looks! Changes were made to my desktop theme that took 10 minutes to rectify! I mean I don't mind updates but can we please stick to the main system updates and not my personal settings?????

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Little disapointment with update

Post by Stupot » Tue Jul 03, 2012 15:29

Did you....restart gnome?

Also, just because things were disabled for you, doesn't mean they were disabled for everybody. Different hardware, settings, all have a role to play. If we were to notify everybody of all the different configurations that could lead to issues with every update, you would be overwhelmed with notices and probably just ignore them. Not to mention, we don't have the developer power to do that. It would be a monumental waste of development time.

Sabayon is a bleeding edge distro. These things happen from time to time, especially when you are running gnome3 which is going through major changes constantly.

BBOSAK2143
Baby Hen

Post by BBOSAK2143 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:56

Yes I know it is a real leader in the distros! I absolutely love it, but would just be nice to get some kind of heads up on possible side effects of an update. Yes I have the terrible video drivers and will never get one of these combo boards again, if it is the last thing I do! Sabayon runs the best on this machine. Other Linux's never seem to work with this combo board! I looked through the list of updates before I started it. I could not see anything that related to shutting those functions down. So yeah, when I read everything and look for messages and don't see any gets me confused why those changes happened. Now you mention about restarting gnome? That is something I don't have knowledge on yet. Would be nice to see if that will get the weather extension going. Really enjoy it as the XBMC center kind of does what it wants. Here and there a gem, other times not great. How about a link in Rigo that could lead to a web page that might list a problems or even just the definition of the updates? Developer mentioned is those that developed the Gnome 3.4. I am a firm believer in Sabayon development and think it is the Ultimate System! I would do anything in my power to help improve or help it! I feel very strongly for this system and do want to see it work well for everyone that enjoys it as much as I do!

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03

There is no possible way to know what upstream does is going to have for impact, especially with extensions that are done by 3rd party people. The authors will have to update their extensions as upstream changes things.

What Operating System can possible predict what any update will do?

BBOSAK2143
Baby Hen

Post by BBOSAK2143 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:51

I guess really the big shame of it all as I said is Gnome 3.4 is a disaster area for every OS out there! Seems the extensions have real issues. I really did like Sabayon9 as its stability was great, but have to watch the downloads as I am on a limit of 5 gigs per month(Verizon WIreless). The update also left windows popping under. Usually when you click on a folder it opens on top, after update went underneath. The reason I had to leave this OS , the downloads and updates are a little much for me. So have left for Ultimate which also has many programs am interested in. If I lived in an area that offered Cable, believe me would stay on this OS and work to fix the problem within Gnome! I mean, I had that desktop looking perfect and better than I have ever seen it anywhere! Present desktop is pretty nice, but I am missing the transparency of the top Applications/Places bar! Also had an Apple logo on it! Was real sharp! As I am interested in one day developing programs, will admit Ultimate reeled me in!!! Take care folks and best wishes are a lot of great minds on here! Please keep up the great work, but look for solutions don't run away. That is what Linux is not about! Linux always faces challenges and beats them!

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:55

If your system works fine don't update !

If you want a new release , sabayon offers Daily ISOs every 3-4 days that offer fully updates

eor2004
Simple Hen

Post by eor2004 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:11

I have motherboard with intel chipsets, specifically the Gigabyte G41M-ES2L and NEVER had an issue with Linux, I knew that I wouldn't have issues with intel chipsets, I'm using Sabayon 9 Gnome and it is working very good, my advice go buy motherboard fully compatible with linux with intel chipsets!
Sabayon Linux MATE 64-bit
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L-->2gb ram
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.60ghz-->E5300
WD-6400AAKS-Caviar-SE16-640gb-->XFS filesystem