Why does College hate Linux?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Why does College hate Linux?

Postby sqlpython » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:46

@pepe999
I can't leave Gentoo, Debian or Slackware. What finally tipped the scales for you?

@Fitzcarraldo
As long as I have been using Linux (Slack 95), I have never had to say to anyone "Linux won't/can't do that." with regard to Computer duties.
Please Explain the statement
I have to use Windows at work is to check-in documents using Microsoft SharePoint

I for one would like to find a WorkAround.
I had to research Microsoft SharePoint as I was not familiar with the product. :?:
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12

Ahh, another microsoft semi lock-in as for sharepoint....at least that's the classic goal :D As noted below, doc checkin with MS office & wine work pretty well.

Depends on what one really needs to do with it. Think of it as a google drive you can share with others, or likely more comparable to a less focused but reasonably capable project/code/document collaboration systems such as joomla or numerous others. I've seen it used for document collaboration, it's main theme is ease of use for the non techie project manager. 8)

It can be accessed via webdav (shared drive via webtype protocols), all the way to installing MS office and code dev tools under wine or native to whatever software platform (main themes are revision control, project management, task assignment, reporting to teammembers). standard disclaimers apply, but the sharepoint name is fairly accurate. big difference between that and more popular doc/code repositories that are open standard based is the integration with MS products primarily. Others (typically freebees, some with paid versions) have significantly extended functionality.

Ironically, I worked on the review a couple years ago where MS agreed in court to share documentation on their APIs to facilitate other companies (or FOSS) to access many MS programs. MS is pretty awful in misreading/abusing standards, and my review wasn't that kind (the API docs were terrible, and RFC/protocol abuse was rampant).

I use (happy to spend the $$ and often great deals are out there) for crossover office (many wine authors pay their bills via this product set). Run MS office without any hassles, but I doubt I use it for more than the most basic (and common) deployments of anything like sharepoint.

Check over on freshmeat.net and look around for the tasks that might be sharepoint comparable. They'll give you some ideas as to what everyone really uses if the type of project/work/assignment is more intensive.

Worst case, virtualbox and a copy of windows there can satisfy the 3% of time needed to handle checkins, etc. :lol:

Good luck!
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37

This might be of help. Unsure of the scope of your need to access sharepoint, but this may help :D

[url]
http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/que ... ing-davfs2
[/url]
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Postby sqlpython » Sun Mar 24, 2013 18:46

All Good Info! :idea:

As I had said though, I fortunately do not have such an issue.
Maybe Fitzcarraldo will find one of the ideas a launching point.

While I had been getting some equipment lately with Windows 8, I really feel pity for anyone who has to live with it.
>>>Absolute Vomit!
I see what there goal is is..turning the Desktop into a Giant Smart Phone. A good interface on a limited device but not where the Real Estate (Room) is available to the User.
Personally I have used all Microsoft interfaces from DOS 1.1 to now tried Windows 8 and Windows 8 is perhaps it's worst incarnation to date. Note the pattern beginning with Win 1 to Win 8. Every other Release is effective the releases in between are Nasty Betas. Some may question my choice of Win 1 but it was better behaved then 2.
The Good: DOS 1x, DOS 3x, Win1, Win3, Win98, WinXp, Win7
The Bad and the Ugly: DOS 2x, Win2, Win95, Win Millinium, Vista, Win8..

No secret here the public is paying for and testing and Debugging MicroSoft's Crap.
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 21:43

sqlpython wrote:All Good Info! :idea:
No secret here the public is paying for and testing and Debugging MicroSoft's Crap.

In my eyes the worst of all is the bundle between the computer's hardware and the MS OS, crap or not.
The customers should be conscious of that the OS (here MS Win) is NOT FREE and to be told,
the hardware price is the amount of this and the OS price is an extra amount...
If they want have MS Win, they should pay an extra amount for this product.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 23:45

agree 100% with Linuxfluesterer!!!!

Every time I don't hand build (e.g. buy a laptop) I make sure to donate at least double the MS "tax" to the Sabayon devs. Seems fitting :)

MS for 30 years has refused to abandon last versions "crap" software, and Bill Gates simply would flunk any CS course on operating systems. The user is always the unknown/risk element, and Windows gives access to the entire system. Having to click "yes" to a pop up window doesn't count as security for the OS :evil:

I'm always amazed how people refuse to complain or call if they paid for something, but never hesitate to raise hell if it was free. classic human behavior defect 8)
--
anomaly65
Advanced Hen

Previous

Return to Off Topic