dual monitor, one dies....ouch. ?? about your aspect prefs?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

anomaly65
Technological Hen

dual monitor, one dies....ouch. ?? about your aspect prefs?

Post by anomaly65 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:18

Hi all,

in last 24 odd years, I've had dual monitor setups. (sunos, solaris, linux, and yes, even windows). I really prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio of c.2007 monitors, but now the HDTV 16:9 standard has become the LCD monitor standard for computers. Anyone else miss the larger vertical space of the old school monitors?

Just curious as a (insert lousy chinese capacitor comment) failure of one nice LCD monitor and finding a matching one is next to impossible.

What is your favorite multimonitor setup? Should I go for three smaller 16:9 monitors? or buy an expected to fail 16:10 old school monitor? 8)

Note: I suffered severe eye injury 2 years ago, and large/dual monitors really help and allow me to enjoy.

Also, anyone just bought an "on sale" HDTV pair or single monitor (1080p resolution) and had any problems.

Thanks kindly,
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)

anomaly65
Technological Hen

Re: dual monitor, one dies....ouch. ?? about your aspect pre

Post by anomaly65 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 20:41

I gave up and bought another 16:10 aspect monitor. Was simply a decision of buying 2 new ones (with less real estate, but much improved internals, better brand, no CapXcom capacitors...) versus finding a fair deal on same LCD for a similar price to a better/newer one. oh well. compromises....

16:9 (HDTV) lets them produce more monitors from the same "sheet" than 16:10. I like the extra height on my desktop, and can't afford the really awesome beyond 1920x1200/1080 resolution LCDs.. 8)
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)