Anyone else tried Windows 8?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Anyone else tried Windows 8?

Post by dunsurfin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 16:14

I decided to see what it was like and installed it on VirtualBox. I had to google to find out how to shut it down (apart from using the VB control). Opening a picture it proceeds to tell me that I have an application to open the file before it does so. There then seems no way back to do anything else. I couldn't be bothered to try any other programmes as VB isn't happy with it. I do think there has been some shameless copying from Linux DEs but it isn't even half finished. It is faster than Windows 7 but that's not saying much. I have read comparisons of this release to the release of Vista and I think there is a point there. MS are panicking in the face of Linux, Apple and Android and trying to catch up with an ill-prepared release.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!

throdon
Advanced Hen

Re: Anyone else tried Windows 8?

Post by throdon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:14

I was running windows 7 on my desktop and i used the microsoft upgrade advisor. It took about 1.5 hours to download and install and reboot. I was using portable apps and a couple of installed apps like firefox. I also played about 10-15 hours of skyrim over a couple of days.
Something was wrong with the nvidia drivers(desktop gadgets said i was running an ATI graphics card) and some desktop gadgets didn't work but it was a good running system.
Then i hears a sound like a marble being dropped on top of the case. So I believe my power supply burnt out. So I can't run it on my desktop anymore.
I might install it on my netbook but because of screen resolution I won't be able to use any apps from the store.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:59

I don't think MS is in a panic and MS releasing a lame release seems to be of norm. Remember win98 than Win98SE, than there was WinME. I will be in no rush to upgrade as win7 is rock solid for me.

Did you try disabling Metro? That would be the first thing to go on my install

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Post by dunsurfin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:19

wolfden wrote:
Did you try disabling Metro? That would be the first thing to go on my install
No, I just wanted to see what a new user would be faced with on starting a new machine. I'm fortunate that I only need a Microsoft machine for one piece of hardware and wine deals admirably with the 2 pieces of MS software I use. I don't really know why I keep the installations! :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!