Linus to OpenSUSE Devs: "Kill Yourself Now"...

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

pepebotella
Simple Hen

Linus to OpenSUSE Devs: "Kill Yourself Now"...

Post by pepebotella » Sat Mar 10, 2012 20:01

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10215069322 ... vyfmNCYpi5
Linus Torvalds - Feb 28, 2012 - Public
Venting.

I don't think I can talk about "security" people without cursing, so you might want to avert your eyes now.

I gave OpenSUSE a try, because it worked so well at install-time on the Macbook Air, but I have to say, I've had enough. There is no way in hell I can honestly suggest that to anybody else any more.

I first spent weeks arguing on a bugzilla that the security policy of requiring the root password for changing the timezone and adding a new wireless network was moronic and wrong.

I think the wireless network thing finally did get fixed, but the timezone never did - it still asks for the admin password.

And today Daniela calls me from school, because she can't add the school printer without the admin password.

Whoever moron thought that it's "good security" to require the root password for everyday things like this is mentally diseased.

So here's a plea: if you have anything to do with security in a distro, and think that my kids (replace "my kids" with "sales people on the road" if you think your main customers are businesses) need to have the root password to access some wireless network, or to be able to print out a paper, or to change the date-and-time settings, please just kill yourself now. The world will be a better place.

.. and now I need to find a new distro that actually works on the Macbook Air

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Linus to OpenSUSE Devs: "Kill Yourself Now"...

Post by joost » Sat Mar 10, 2012 20:41

+1
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

pepebotella
Simple Hen

Post by pepebotella » Sat Mar 10, 2012 23:05

Linus Torwards at his best: trolling!
All of the mentioned `issues' are administrative tasks. And he should perfectly well be aware how to setup additional privileges to his user accounts.

[rant]Meeh, who needs user accounts to begin with? I always use root.[/rant]

cmost
Advanced Hen

Post by cmost » Sun Apr 01, 2012 20:37

Whether one agree's with Linus or not, I always have to hand it to him for saying what's on his mind without mincing any words! On a personal note, I happen to agree that some tasks, especially switching among wireless networks, should not require admin rights. As for printers, if no third party software (tarballs, RPMs, DEBs, etc.) is required for whatever printer a user attempts to add (CUPS supports many printers out of the box) then no admin rights should be required to add it.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln