Page 1 of 1

My new open source audio ripper

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 16:18
by King_DuckZ
Hello everyone, I'm working on a ruby script to help me rip music from my audio CDs. Maybe some GUI app is already available, but I couldn't find any decent program to do this on the command line.
The script is at an early stage but it works (I'm ripping my CDs as I type this). It produces .ogg files and automatically looks up song info on freedb. It can also infer artist names from the song title (ie: in compilation albums).

You simply put in a CD and invoke the script like this:

Code: Select all

audioripper
Please refer to audioripper --help for details about its usage.
There are a few known problems, it crashes a bit too often and sometimes you have to kill cdparanoia by hand, but I'm addressing most of those problems in the next days.
The current project page is: http://audioripper.rubyforge.org/
As of now, its dependencies are:
ruby (developed on 1.8.7, but 1.9.2+ should work and will be tested if freedb gem becomes available)
cdparanoia
oggenc
freedb ruby gem
duckutils (another open source project I'm maintaining at http://duckutils.rubyforge.org/)

Any help is welcome, and feel free to add suggestions, questions or any other comment. Happy ripping!

Re: My new open source audio ripper

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08
by wolfden
nice job, all ya need now is an ebuild :)

Re: My new open source audio ripper

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 22:13
by King_DuckZ
It would be nice to see it in a repo indeed, but I have no idea how to do that... do I have to find a maintainer? is there some requirements to meet, things like that? if you have a link or two I'll have a look :)

Edit: And if you (or someone) come up with a better name for it... ;)

Re: My new open source audio ripper

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:33
by wolfden

Re: My new open source audio ripper

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16
by joost
Write an ebuild and open a Gentoo bug.

Re: My new open source audio ripper

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 20:31
by King_DuckZ
Thanks for the links! I tried to look at them a little bit, but lately I've been so busy and I couldn't do anything about the ebuild :/ I barely had the time to fix a major problem. I didn't add support for other encoders yet but writing wrappers around lame or other encoders should be trivial. I'll keep you updated :)