Welcome Back Gentoo-Wiki

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Welcome Back Gentoo-Wiki

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 20:40

You write "Welcome back", but, up until now, there has not been an official Gentoo Wiki, only a third-party unofficial Gentoo Wiki not funded or supported by the Gentoo Foundation (http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page). This new Wiki is the official Gentoo Wiki (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page). The provider of the unofficial wiki intends to continue that wiki in parallel to the official wiki, but it seems a bit daft for the two to continue. In my opinion the articles in the unofficial wiki should be copied to the official wiki and then the latter should be closed down.

throdon
Advanced Hen

Post by throdon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 21:19

Maybe he is looking at a double redundant mirror type website. it wasn't to long ago the unofficial had hosting problems and went down quite hard.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 22:02

The administrator of the unofficial Gentoo Wki wrote:The Gentoo developers have launched their own wiki over at wiki.gentoo.org.

Gentoo-wiki.com plans to continue running alongside the official Gentoo Wiki with it's large collection of existing articles in multiple languages and active community of editors.

Editors of both wiki's should be aware of the differences in licenses. gentoo-wiki.com licenses its content under the CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license while wiki.gentoo.org has chosen the CC BY-SA 3.0 license. The extra non-commercial clause means that articles cannot be copied between wiki's without the explicit permission of all authors.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:58

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
The administrator of the unofficial Gentoo Wki wrote:The Gentoo developers have launched their own wiki over at wiki.gentoo.org.

Gentoo-wiki.com plans to continue running alongside the official Gentoo Wiki with it's large collection of existing articles in multiple languages and active community of editors.

Editors of both wiki's should be aware of the differences in licenses. gentoo-wiki.com licenses its content under the CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license while wiki.gentoo.org has chosen the CC BY-SA 3.0 license. The extra non-commercial clause means that articles cannot be copied between wiki's without the explicit permission of all authors.
I read this. at first I thought a merger between the two wikis....

genfool
Technological Hen

Post by genfool » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:10

I like that gentoo has a official wiki now, not sure what was up and why it did not before?
This may be a good opportunity for the old wiki to get cleaned up?
What I mean is, if somebody has written a wiki page several years ago, is now outdated ... and in some cases is fine, many cases they need to be updated..
If these pages were updated before being copied to new wiki, this would be great. Makes no sense to copy outdated material to new wiki.

Just wishful thinking on my part I suppose.
This is always a problem with wiki's, the older and longer they are around, more cruft builds up.