dell laptop question

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

perlsyntax
Baby Hen

dell laptop question

Post by perlsyntax » Sat Nov 05, 2011 20:47

Well i not sure if the wireless card and video card will be support by linux and do you think this laptop will work on sabayon 7?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-IM503 ... K/17200911

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: dell laptop question

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 0:23

Hopefully someone who actually has the model you are interested in will post here.

I don't have it, but, according to the link you gave, that laptop has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 GPU and an Atheros (model not specified) wireless card. The link also states that the model is the Inspiron M5030.

According to the AMD Web site, the AMD Catalyst driver (a.k.a. FGLRX) works with that model of GPU, so you would probably be OK (caveat emptor, and all that).

See if you can find out what model of Atheros wireless card is in the machine. If it is a model that is supported by the ath9k driver, you'll probably be OK there too.

I don't have that laptop, so cannot be sure, but it looks a reasonable bet. Google is telling me that there is an Inspiron M5030 and an Inspiron N5030. Do you know, or can you find out, the difference between the two? Anyway, if it were the N5030 it certainly works with SL (see the thread viewtopic.php?f=56&t=25731).

Can you try a SL LiveDVD in the laptop in a local Walmart store, or can you only buy it via the Internet? If you could try a SL LiveDVD in a store display model, that would be the clincher.