Filemanager questions [Solved]

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

throdon
Advanced Hen

Filemanager questions [Solved]

Post by throdon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:45

I didn't know where to put this but I use a combination openbox/LXDE with a KDE backend(as in I use amarok and digikam in OB/LXDE with the KDE libraries in the background)

My question is I use PCmanFM and Dolphin and when I have my external plugged in the both have different amounts of space.

I set up 3 partitions (245GB NTFS for windows, 489GB BtsFS, and a 195GB BtsFS)
Dolphin sees each partition correctly But the numbers for PCmanFM
are 264gb NTFS for windows 526GB BtsFS and 211GB BtsFS

The hard drive in question is a 1TB western digital.

I really am wondering what is the difference in reading the sizes of the partitions in KDE compared to OB/LXDE like how does KDE do it compared to other WM/DM and which is the most reliable?
Last edited by throdon on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:55, edited 1 time in total.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature

throdon
Advanced Hen

Re: Filemanager questions

Post by throdon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:16

I have been doing some experimenting and it seems to me that QT/KDE file managers(Dolphin+Konqueror) read the partion table/filesize differently than GTK file managers(Thunar+PCmanFM +nautilus).

Has anyone else noticed this and wondered why there is a discrepancy between them.

Also this is not a Sabayon issue, this is across all my distros that I am running and experimenting with.

throdon
Advanced Hen

Re: Filemanager questions

Post by throdon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:54

I found the answer apparently 487GiB is approximately 517 GB so it's just a matter of units being used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

res0r9lm2
Simple Hen

Re: Filemanager questions [Solved]

Post by res0r9lm2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:24

There has to be some setting you can use to change that behavior. should be reporting MiB not MB. The difference is hard drive manufactures use MB to make there drives seem bigger while all operating systems use MiB by default.