KDE releases Plasma Active One

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

KDE releases Plasma Active One

Post by sabayonino » Tue Oct 18, 2011 14:22

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20111017#news
The KDE team has announced the availability of Plasma Active One. While the GNOME project has decided to rework their entire desktop in order to address tablets and touch screens, the KDE project is taking a different approach. The KDE4 desktop will remain as it is and a branch of KDE is being designed specifically for mobile devices. From the release announcement: "Plasma Active is compatible with the Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook Workspaces. They are all based on the same framework, sharing more than 95% of code. This is a radically different approach to interface commonality across devices. Most other tablet products are either unique to themselves (sharing little or nothing in common with other device interfaces), or attempts to use desktop interfaces on smaller displays. But Plasma-based interfaces are crafted for specific device types, and are able to do so while having nearly all their code and engineering efforts in common."
:roll:

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: KDE releases Plasma Active One

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 14:51

Yes, I was looking at a video of Plasma Active One recently.

I have to say that I have virtually zero interest in iPad-type tablet devices. A multi-touch UI only appeals to me on my Android mobile phone, which fits in my pocket. Perhaps if tablets come down dramatically in price then I might get more interested in one for home use on the sofa but, at the moment, a tablet is about as much use to me as a wet fish would be for driving in a nail, especially at work. Still, hopefully this tablet multi-touch 'diversion' at least keeps the KDE developers occupied and stops them thinking about totally changing the Desktop design again! :lol: I'm still recovering from the trauma of changing from KDE 3 to KDE 4. :wink: From what I've read, many GNOME users are currently going through the same 'exciting' experience with the transition from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Wed Oct 19, 2011 15:59

To some degree, I think that the point of the whole plasma desktop is that since it so customizable, the entire desktop can change without the plasma code base changing. And that is definitely a good thing.

But don't take my word for it: https://plus.google.com/112678702228711 ... VeouesvaVX

While I realize they aren't talking about the exact same thing, you can't argue that KDE is going for making the desktop a platform of sorts.

ExpatPaul
Simple Hen

Post by ExpatPaul » Fri Oct 21, 2011 14:13

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I have to say that I have virtually zero interest in iPad-type tablet devices. A multi-touch UI only appeals to me on my Android mobile phone, which fits in my pocket.
This pretty much reflects my own view. A tablet is less portable than my phone and less powerful than my laptop - it feels, to me, like a completely pointless compromise.
Fitzcarraldo wrote:From what I've read, many GNOME users are currently going through the same 'exciting' experience with the transition from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3.
I don't know about exciting, but I am increasiningl enjoying GNOME 3 - so much so that I have even switched off the minimise and maximise buttons. It's probably more a question of personal preference than anything else, but I am finding it works really well for me.