An unpleasant forecast

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

An unpleasant forecast

Post by dunsurfin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15

I don't know if this is scaremongering but it makes interesting and scary reading to me:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/21 ... ion_fears/
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: An unpleasant forecast

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 16:50

I wouldn't worry: too many companies use Linux and Unix to make it likely. Not to mention the US government and the EU, which would not allow M$ to get away with it.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Post by dunsurfin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29

It doesn't make for happy reading. :(
Probably I'm overly pessimistic but the gargantuan financial clout of the huge "IT" companies (both hardware and software) promises less choice and far more effort and expense for end users. Another case in point is the throwing around of injunctions by Apple, Samsung et al.
My hope for salvation lies in our beloved devs (and those of other distros) who give their time and expertise to the thwarting of the power freaks. :cheese:
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!

DeepDayze
Baby Hen

Post by DeepDayze » Mon Oct 31, 2011 18:02

I sure hope mobo makers will make boards that are Linux friendly and I'm sure there will be a market for such boards. Microsoft's latest attack on OSS means they'll pretty much lock in the consumer PC market which means that such machines will be Windows 8 only. So the only route will be boards that have UEFI in "setup' mode so you can throw in your own keys easily.