Cross-disro application installer ?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Ramiliez
Simple Hen

Cross-disro application installer ?

Post by Ramiliez » Mon Aug 22, 2011 20:52

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110131#news
http://news.opensuse.org/2011/01/26/app ... s-borders/

I think it is too early to draw conclusions but maybe it will succeed
Dont get me wrong i actually like the idea but
- from wording of that article i think they will try to reinvent wheel there are several package managers out there
like http://nixos.org/nix/
Sabayon 9 x64 KDE

BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Re: Cross-disro application installer ?

Post by BlackNoxis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:51

I've received word from other distro users friends of mine which use Nix in Debian, Ubuntu, successfully mixing the Nix system with the apt. In Sabayon there's not particularly important, but could get interesting when you're about to run purely functional packages :-? Dunno, anyone tested this yet ?

DeepDayze
Baby Hen

Post by DeepDayze » Mon Oct 31, 2011 17:54

Now would it be cool if equo/entropy can open and install .deb's and RPM's as many packages out there are primarily deb or rpm's.

A cross-distro package manager would be cool and I remember Autopackage was one attempt at such a cross-distro package installer

BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Post by BlackNoxis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:02

DeepDayze wrote:Now would it be cool if equo/entropy can open and install .deb's and RPM's as many packages out there are primarily deb or rpm's.

A cross-distro package manager would be cool and I remember Autopackage was one attempt at such a cross-distro package installer
Well, things would be like this : It would definitely take a hell lot of time to make such a package, exactly the same time as constructing Wine itself, lol. Besides, it's not worth it, the source code of any program exists anyway, it's like you're trying to cross a river and make 2 bridges for a person to cross :roll:
Decentralization is sometimes good, let every distro have his own package manager, it's a nice way of evolution :mrgreen:

Think of it, it's like a .deb, .rpm, etc. devs put aside their differences and think together for a new uber-big package that can understand and install all the other type of package types, it's not profitable even for their own system.
The idea is nice in its sense, but no need for centralization here.

DeepDayze
Baby Hen

Post by DeepDayze » Wed Nov 02, 2011 0:50

BlackNoxis wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:Now would it be cool if equo/entropy can open and install .deb's and RPM's as many packages out there are primarily deb or rpm's.

Well, things would be like this : It would definitely take a hell lot of time to make such a package, exactly the same time as constructing Wine itself, lol. Besides, it's not worth it, the source code of any program exists anyway, it's like you're trying to cross a river and make 2 bridges for a person to cross :roll:
Decentralization is sometimes good, let every distro have his own package manager, it's a nice way of evolution :mrgreen:

Think of it, it's like a .deb, .rpm, etc. devs put aside their differences and think together for a new uber-big package that can understand and install all the other type of package types, it's not profitable even for their own system.
The idea is nice in its sense, but no need for centralization here.
Sounds like a nice idea but note that distros will place files in different places, but if they follow the LFS then it should be easy to have a package install on all distros as well as ensuring the dependencies are met (for example, the version of a particular library).

BlackNoxis
Growing Hen

Post by BlackNoxis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42

Yeah, it would changes everything, heh :D . Nice talking to you, I propose talking about the Nix package management, I'm personally interested in that pm and others' opinions about it and mixing it with other kinds of pm's :?: