Bug Reports - VERY IMPORTANT

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

necrose
Baby Hen

Bug Reports - VERY IMPORTANT

Post by necrose » Mon Jul 18, 2011 20:52

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G73SW/

Bug 1) newer gcc will not install without some Work , it blocked many updates from posting until i masked it , downloaded it

their is often a time out on the 98-100 % rage on the GCC download etc, entropy times it out esp since its a larger file ,

i had to desktop download them GCC-XXX.etp MD5 bz etc , then by hand unmask them problem solved their

however my SAb Linux is ruining in a VM-ware box however doing more serious work ... is going to be hampered without a true install . , I had a 1TB nb Drive i bought about 6 months ago to consolidate my dying notebook onto etc, since windows will Dump all into windows.old painless add the config dumps to a transfer dir using the windows update util vola ,

this freed me up to wipe the factory laptop HDD , After forking out for a new set of 2nd bay rails , re-part it with a data part and a 200 ish for Sabayon this time a live boot , and crushing the factory recovery part to minimal .

Acronis disk tools under windows 7 was used for a few tasks , namely their os selector was installed for the simplicity of the windows 7 Grub/LILO wars ...... (one update to kernel or etc of the one kills the other) namely as well if you have a USB key hitting the bios boot menu key you have to have lighting fingers ... you missed it.. useful for making a Linux on a stick setup a few firewall servers or etc to deploy for clients/customers
I'm keenly aware of Lilo or resetting grub or windows boot loaders , thier just a pain , and as a grad student this boot loader is a major time savor. I need to get work IN/out not have to D!#[email protected]#$%^ with the loaders ever windows update or kernel update / or custom compile/install

the Live CD 5.5 64 bit dies on some the hardware namily the usb 3.0 on install on this hardware the kernel locks up about 3/4 the way in .

so far the Gentoo install is going fine , the emerge entropy items is known , and having to resort to this , however this way is going to suck ,however since the hardware is a bit bleeding edge with wi-max adapters and intel wireless I have no choice but to use this method .

necrose
Baby Hen

Re: Bug Reports - VERY IMPORTANT

Post by necrose » Mon Jul 18, 2011 21:03

the KDE installer was used. (unsure if using XFCE or Gnome would make any-other difference)

so far the Latest Live CD ala Gentoo works to a respectable , however tweaking every lousy config file is going to relay get old fast.

the compile times for a few of the pages can be nullified , under windows i mounted the ext3 part and mad the entropy pathways , Notepad++ will preserve native Linux formats. with a few hacks to make.conf i can set the bin dir to the entropy storage /var/lib/entropy/client/p*/p*

anyhow with a fast ftp client i've pre-mirrored most the entropy ftp mirror to the local amd64 root cleaning out un needed dir's and dumping pkgs into the dir. hopefully this will take the Joy of hurry up and wait from the install .

however the setup of Sabayon directly on my hardware would have been a plus. hopefully thiers a post "Installer" for the configs to be less suffer-able