Windows 8 preview. Does the World need another OS?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Windows 8 preview. Does the World need another OS?

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 16:18

:arrow: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/m ... ows-8.html

I've never used Unity, but the UI in the above video reminds me a little of the screen shots of Ubuntu I've seen in various blogs.

Only a couple of mentions of a mouse in the whole video. All oriented to tablets and touch-screens.

I can see this being fine on touch pads and the like, but I don't want to touch my PC screen or type on it. When using my PC, the less I lift and move my hands, the better. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but does the World really need yet another OS?

micia
Sagely Hen

Re: Windows 8 preview. Does the World need another OS?

Post by micia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 17:41

In my very own strictly personal opinion... All this touch-screen stuff is just to appeal to the masses, it is not really useful or comfortable, I feel much more "in control" and I am much more productive with a nice keyboard, shortcuts and all these things.

It is true that they are probably not immediate, they are not all shiny and coloured, but once you get used to them, you find yourself doing tons of tasks in no time.
It is similar to bash, in the beginning you hate it, you find it obsolete, you fight with it, once you get how it works... It is your best friend :mrgreen:

If you want a nice and new OS:
http://visopsys.org/
:P
I went through its API, out of curiosity, some time ago, it is really well done.
Its code is excellent and I kinda like its philosophy :D

alonsoty
Advanced Hen

Post by alonsoty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 20:50

The interface seen in the movie linked, IMHO, is not very productive in certain fields!
How to micia says, I hope that this is the fashion interface only for now...

To tell the truth even Gnome3, that I'm intensely trying now on a Fedora15, not allow me the usual fluency in switching between different applications...
For me, professional applications that allow the undocking of different tools panels, it conflicts with newly management of workareas adopted currently by all because requires more mouse and/or keyboard gestures.

so, I can't imagine how I would feel unconfortable with that behavior! :shock:

touch screen???
...try only to think of touching the screen of a professional graphic or a microelectronic designer leaving an horrible fingerprint... you'll be flayed alive!!! :twisted:

for many other fields of use I would say that maybe it's even a matter of habit!

grimly64
Simple Hen

Post by grimly64 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 20:34

I can see this being fine on touch pads and the like, but I don't want to touch my PC screen or type on it. When using my PC, the less I lift and move my hands, the better. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but does the World really need yet another OS?
Speech Recognition has come a long way. Check this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwtp4A6n1YM

Haven't tried it yet myself, more videos with Linux voice (or speech) recognition when searched.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 20:56

I'm sure speech recognition will have its place, but it's not going to be a practical means of controlling a PC in a shared office or an open-plan office, where it would distract or annoy colleagues, or indeed in a sitting room with other members of your family watching a TV programme or film. The computer of the distant future will probably be controllable by any of a number of different methods: touch-screen, voice, moving one's hand in 3D space, touch-pad, eye movement, brainwaves and, possibly, still the old mouse and keyboard.

Panuzio
Advanced Hen
Location: Firenze, Toscana, Italia (Florence, Tuscany, Italy)

Post by Panuzio » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:16

I'm very agree with Micia:
For me Gnome Shell, Unity and similar (MSWin8, for example) are the worst. :evil:
Last edited by Panuzio on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:38, edited 4 times in total.
Francesco
Ride of Sabayon (Mania) penguins
Gnome is dead!
Gnome 2 forever!

Linux sabayon 4.8.0-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Dec 22 15:22:00 UTC 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Skull Fire
Growing Hen

Post by Skull Fire » Thu Jun 09, 2011 19:23

i dont understand the appeal of touch screens. after some use the screens get all scratched up and visibility is poor.

i do a lot of talking for work and most days my voice is shot, using voice commands seems like work to me.

as hard is it is to believe, the mouse and keyboard are still the most relaxing and comfortable way to go. especially the mouse. perhaps a smaller keypad for the non-mouse hand would be nice, like the belkin nostromo n52 speedpad or something improved like it, but i cant really see inventing the wheel as the current ideas seem like more work.

maybe im getting old too, i prefer a bit more of a conservative approach. i would lean toward improving existing technology and os's, work towards making them bug free, more secure,faster and easier. then add new features and such more discreetly. im to the point where i just want things to work, and i dont want to hunt for settings and features. i like knowing where and how to find what im looking for. even updates/upgrades make me crazy when they change or kill features im used to having, especially when you get a system setup exactly how you want, then BAM, you need to start over. . .

its kind of funny since we're all plugged into a bleeding edge distro. . . :mrgreen:
multi-booting Sabayon 5.5 kde 64 bit and others
intel e6600 @ 3.0 ghz core duo
6gb ddr2 800
biostar tpower i45 motherboard
nvidia 9800 gt
3) 7200 sata's non-raid