What Kind of OS setup do you have?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What Kind of OS setup do you have?

Postby Richlion » Tue Jan 29, 2013 13:12

For the past couple of years since SL 3.4f I never had anything else, SL 10 now with KDE on my laptop and desktop.
I gave my sister and an old Toshiba 32-bit with and older SL9 and she is very happy with it.
I bought myself an Acer 17" laptop about 2 years ago and I was so confident with SL (now SL11 of course), that I removed the Windows installation emmediately even risking problems in case of a warranty problem.
Last edited by Richlion on Thu Mar 28, 2013 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby affirmedatheist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:29

Right now on SL (11, I think?), with a Win XP VM for the few cases I have to use it, and various other distros as well in VM. I like to tinker, but Sabayon feels like it might be my new home after being so long on *buntu variants (though I've tried many distros, most recently Fedora, which *mostly* worked. I did also like Gentoo a lot when I installed it from a Stage 3 last year for kicks, so perhaps when I finally got an ISO to work (Sabayon X didn't like my machine for some odd reason, though it could have been a bad burn, too).

I like that you guys have picked pretty much all the apps I use as the defaults in the KDE variant.

A few really minor niggles (mostly really insignificant things, like one of the KDE styles losing transparency (but not the others, which is weird), but otherwise zero problems (mostly to do with themeing quirks).
affirmedatheist
Baby Hen

Postby ovis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:16

now, Gentoo.
ovis
Baby Hen

Postby Richlion » Thu Mar 28, 2013 15:36

Thev00d00 wrote:Work Laptop: Sabayon x64
Netbook: Sabayon x32
Server: Sabayon x64
Main PC: Sabayon x64 and a Win 7 parition for games.

Just out of curiosity, how do you maintain updates on your SL server? Do you use Rigo, or do your still use the old Portage/Equo stype? You would have to have the server connected to the Internet, correct?
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby ashtonford » Thu Mar 28, 2013 17:10

on my main sony vaio lap top running sabayon11 gnome with cinnamon. Older dell lap top running centos. Desk top runing mint13 cinnamon
ashtonford
Baby Hen

Postby Wurzeld » Sun Apr 28, 2013 14:58

I have a Lenovo T61 with a recently added Sabayon 11, Cinnamon, it's a multi-boot - also running Fedora 18 - Cinnamon, Mint 14 - Cinnamon, and Mint 11.
Other machines in use include an Acer 5920 running Fedora 16 with LVM, a Toshiba with Mint 11 (and another OS!) and an Acer 2410 (which is waiting to have it's hinges repaired) with Mint 13 .
I am a great fan of Cinnamon, but find issues with Sabayon 11 implementation.
Wurzeld
Baby Hen

Postby dkuku » Sun Apr 28, 2013 18:49

Sabayon 11 as my main system (earlier I was a gentoo user so I think sabayon is a natural choice) and windows used only for fixing or messing with different electronic devices wich don't have linux apps and drivers (its windows 8 because it was installed from the beginning on the machine, but I really dont like it because of the metro UI - even if my laptop is equipped with touchscreen)
dkuku
Baby Hen

Postby TDKyon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12

I was Debian user many years and always had the feeling that something is missing me - kinda you just ate something and you know that you want something else (candies,something sweet etc.) . I've tried every single distribution which is marked in distrowatch and none of them had ever satisfied me like Sabayon. Yesterday downloaded for very first time Sabayon and installed it onto my ssd and must admit that it is ferrari faster. Libreoffice is opening for less than a 3 seconds, on debian/based distros libreoffice documents gonna be opened for about 30 seconds. I was thinking all these years that it's gonna be harder to operate a gentoo based os, but I was fooling my self until yesterday. My ssd has 550MB read/write speed and for first time I am feeling it kinda 2GB of read/write speed on sabayon. Wifi adapters works out of the box, ati radeon legacy drivers works out of the box. Hat's off to Sabayon, also I really liked how many programs has sabayon in it's repos (all programs that I have been using on other distros are here and nothing is missing me).

Thank's to anyone involved in the creation of Sabayon :)
TDKyon
Young Hen

Previous

Return to Off Topic