Is Wayland the new X?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Gnubee-Vern
Baby Hen

Is Wayland the new X?

Post by Gnubee-Vern » Fri May 13, 2011 1:05

There have been articles, (April's edition of Linux Format magazine for example), saying that Ubuntu and Fedora could be switching to a new display server called Wayland soon. I don't know too much about it yet, but it doesn't work with proprietary drivers and Nvidia does not plan to support it the last I heard. Canonical is trying to figure out how to put Compiz into Wayland as a plug-in using only open source software.

Are there plans to switch Sabayon from X.org to Wayland?

Does anyone know more about this project?

I would be interested in your opinions as well; is this a good thing?

Thanks,
Gnubee-Vern

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Is Wayland the new X?

Post by joost » Fri May 13, 2011 10:25

Not in the next 2 years no.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Fri May 13, 2011 10:51

The "innovations" brought by Fedora and Ubuntu, in my humble opinion, never worked and never have been a good thing, just look at pulseaudio :P

I can't see a valid reason to replace X Server, a software that works, is scalable, is well mantained and is the foundation of any FreeBSD, Linux, and Unix GUI system.
This is a typical example of breaking standards that work, this is something that Microsoft does (and can do because it is the de-facto standard), but a system that relies only on standards to work fine should not do.

Wayland has backward compatibility with X, but it involves an additional emulation step, meaning that anyone that wants to support multiple platforms, will write just the X code, because it would be too much work to support just one platform to write many versions of the same code, this will cause, in my opinion, Wayland applications to go slower than conventional X applications.
In its current state, in order to write good and portable Unix software, one should support:

- Wayland
- X using Xlib
- (possibly) X using XCB
- PulseAudio
- OSS
- ALSA

Or rely in one of the billion libraries that do the same thing, involving external dependencies (and you are not guaranteed that the library does support all of this).
I don't think this is a good situation, and if it keeps going like this, I don't think it will get better.
But this is only my opinion.

BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Post by BlueJayofEvil » Sat May 14, 2011 22:46

Phoronix has a collection of their Wayland-related articles in their forums (here).

Gnubee-Vern
Baby Hen

Post by Gnubee-Vern » Sun May 15, 2011 2:24

Thank all of you for your posts. It's good to know that Sabayon will continue using the X server, and it's always good to learn more about Linux as well. A great community is another reason that Sabayon is an outstanding distro.

Gnubee-Vern

dudumomo
Growing Hen

Post by dudumomo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:12

Wayland is now in version 1.0.

Is the project more mature enough to give it a try on Sabayon?
Will devs consider it will bring added value to the Sabayon distribution?

I'm interested to know more.

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:07

Based on this:
http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/state/
I don't think it is a good idea yet.

As any other technology and choice, it can be discussed via Sabayon development mailing list (as well as on the forums), I think.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 16:02

Wayland at 1.0 just means that the API is stable, so now developers can start developing on it. It is not ready to be used for anything other than development yet.

Trying to actually use it would be worse than using KDE 4.0 (which was supposed to be the same thing, released for developers, not full time use). Although, it would be even more futile, as you simply can't really use Wayland yet. Wayland won't really be used for another year or so.