Microsoft buys Skype

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Microsoft buys Skype

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 10, 2011 18:13

Bad news for Linux users and for Android users. :(

I use Skype for Linux on my laptop, and Skype for Android on my HTC Desire smartphone. Microsoft is hardly going to want to support Skype for Linux or Skype for Android. Especially now that they are trying to push Windows Phone 7.

ExpatPaul
Simple Hen

Re: Microsoft buys Skype

Post by ExpatPaul » Tue May 10, 2011 20:03

I saw that earlier today and my first thought was that Skype won't be nearly as popular once it starts blue-screening every time you try to make a call ;)

More seriously, it did occur to me that now might be a good time to try and convince my Windows using friends to try downloading Ekiga

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Tue May 10, 2011 20:04

Funny fact might be that the whole Skype infra is based on Linux.
So perhaps we can see Microsoft commit some Linux Kernel patches (they need) soon.
:mrgreen:
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Tue May 10, 2011 20:05

Skype alternative for Android devices: http://www.fring.com
AFAIK there is no PC version for it.

ExpatPaul
Simple Hen

Post by ExpatPaul » Tue May 10, 2011 20:10

I only use Skype on my laptop, and only to talk to a small number of people. I noticed on the Ekiga website that they do now have a Windows beta...

ExpatPaul
Simple Hen

Post by ExpatPaul » Tue May 10, 2011 20:11

joost wrote:Funny fact might be that the whole Skype infra is based on Linux.
So perhaps we can see Microsoft commit some Linux Kernel patches (they need) soon.
:mrgreen:
They'll probably spend three years porting the whole infrastructure to Windows and then start wondering why no-one uses it any more ;)

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 10, 2011 20:48

joost wrote:Skype alternative for Android devices: http://www.fring.com
AFAIK there is no PC version for it.
Yeah, there are a few (I've tried Nimbuzz). The problem with all these alternatives to Skype is that they have a tiny user base in comparison to Skype, so they are really only of use if you want to use them to call a land line or mobile. And even then, the number of countries supported is not as extensive as with Skype, as far as I know.

I can only hope that, as Android is far more popular than Windows Phone 7, Microsoft do not cut off their nose to spite their face. Skype for Linux is another kettle of fish entirely, as the number of Linux desktops is minuscule in comparison to Windows desktops (and the number of Linux desktops using Skype is even smaller), so Microsoft may well let the Skype for Linux application wither and die, as the loss of revenue would be minimal in comparison to Skype for Android. By the way, my main use for Skype is Skype-to-land line and Skype-to-mobile, from one country to another. I do use Skype-to-Skype occasionally, but normally I'm paying for the Skype service so I can call from one country to another one at local rates. That is the benefit of Skype to many people, and Skype's business model isn't built on free Skype-to-Skype connections.

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Tue May 10, 2011 20:52

Well lets be optimistic, perhaps Microsoft actually releases Skype for Linux and Mac?
Perhaps that fits in their plans.

Sadly nobody could stand up and say, NO WAY let's fork this one!

(Nimbuzz uses the Skype protocol afaik)

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 10, 2011 22:41

joost wrote:Nimbuzz uses the Skype protocol afaik
When I first started using Nimbuzz, yes, but not any more (see What the Skype/Nimbuzz Breakup Means To You). Nimbuzz's use of Skype was why I signed up to Nimbuzz, but when Skype no longer allowed Nimbuzz to use their service I stopped using it. From the figures I've seen, Skype claims to have more than 663 million user accounts (see the Wikipedia article on Skype), whereas Nimbuzz claims to have 30 million user accounts.

All my Windows-using colleagues use Skype, another reason I will not be switching to another VoIP service. Anyway, Skype for Linux (and Android) users are in the hands of Microsoft now. All we can do is wait and see.

Gmanprime500
Baby Hen

Post by Gmanprime500 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:42

I agree with everyone here that Microsoft buying Skype could be a bad thing for the Linux and Android community. In fact I wouldn't be surprised myself if Micro makes Skype pay to use in the next year. BUT if Microsoft does decide to get their heads out of their asses and Update the Linux and Android versions of Skype that would be Impressive XD.