Gnome 3.0 - April 6th

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Gnome 3.0 - April 6th

Post by wolfden » Tue May 03, 2011 23:17

Sabayon won't be doing gnome 3 till it drops into portage which isn't scheduled till like gnome 3.2 at earliest. Did arch have the fallback from gnome 3? I think the fallback is fine.

gentoovortex
Baby Hen

Post by gentoovortex » Wed May 04, 2011 7:48

Thanks for the info Wolfden! I've decided to stick with XFCE on my laptop. Did some more reading and have the XFCE desktop configured the way I want it now. Wish there was a dark Sabayon style for XFCE. I'll leave Gnome on my Gentoo desktop and gradually migrate to XFCE or change completely to Sabayon.

The fallback on Arch worked but it still didn't impress me. I forgot to install gnome-tweak-tools also. DOH!! I used Gnome on Arch for 3 years previously before going back to Gentoo (Gnome as well). I'm just too comfortable using 2.32 to want to change to 3.0. To me it's like changing to a new DE like Unity. I might even try 5.5 KDE but then I'd have to retract a lot of bad comments if I liked it.

BTW, totally agree on no icons on the desktop. I only have conky and the panel and that's only if it matches in with the wallpaper.
GUI's?? We don't need no stinkin' GUI's!!!

Sabayon Openbox/Fluxbox / Gentoo Fluxbox / Funtoo Fluxbox / Slackware-Current Fluxbox / Crux Openbox

nevarmaor
Baby Hen

Post by nevarmaor » Sat May 07, 2011 1:29

I have been running two partitions:

Sabayon with Gnome/Openbox

Arch with either Gnome/Openbox or LXDE (used to use XFCE but it was becoming far too gnome-ish to see any difference really)

I tended to use Gnome on Sabayon and LXDE on Arch, go figure. That could change though ...

Tried updating Arch to Gnome3 and I get NO wm at all. X started, and my autostart programs, but NO wm. Just all the program windows in the top left corner. Even tried creating a new home directory and still the same ... I suspect because I was using openbox with Gnome (I HATED metacity, would have preferred sawfish) can't figure the setting that's causing the problem? Still strange that a brand new home directory would not work properly.

So no impressions of Gnome3 as a user experience but definitely negative as an installation experience.

AND I have tried KDE many many times and generally uninstall it again after an average of 30 minutes.

I have a feeling LXDE may become my default. Of course it helps that openbox + pytyle seems absolutely perfect for me.

Gmanprime500
Baby Hen

Post by Gmanprime500 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:44

wolfden wrote:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.g ... nounce/174

So who has all tried the gnome-shell? Like or Dislike? Personally I do not like it at all and will be avoiding it. I'm curious on the excitement level for gnome 3.0. If not, will you be switching desktop environments and if so, which one?
I can't stand the Gnome Shell or other distros implementation of it especially not Ubuntu's Unity :pukel: personally I will be sticking with Classic Gnome and LXDE

gentoovortex
Baby Hen

Post by gentoovortex » Wed May 18, 2011 18:30

Looks like the beginning of the shell extensions has started to "fix?" the new GNOME to look and behave more like GNOME 2.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/new-gnom ... ovide.html
GUI's?? We don't need no stinkin' GUI's!!!

Sabayon Openbox/Fluxbox / Gentoo Fluxbox / Funtoo Fluxbox / Slackware-Current Fluxbox / Crux Openbox

Panuzio
Advanced Hen
Location: Firenze, Toscana, Italia (Florence, Tuscany, Italy)

Post by Panuzio » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:29

Let's see this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/bottom-p ... gnome.html

But I have yet many doubts about Gnome 3.
I don't like Gnome 3. :(
Francesco
Ride of Sabayon (Mania) penguins
Gnome is dead!
Gnome 2 forever!

Linux sabayon 4.8.0-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Dec 22 15:22:00 UTC 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux