Gnome 3.0 - April 6th

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

gallienus
Growing Hen

Re: Gnome 3.0 - April 6th

Post by gallienus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:29

After seeing some screen shots of gnome 3 and watching a flash demo of gnome-shell I think I'm actually looking forward to trying both out.

I haven't tried gnome-shell in a long while, I think I installed the beta in sulfur after reading Wolfden's wgo blog on it. What I didn't like about it then was the fact that you couldn't get rid of, or at least I couldn't, any new virtual desktops that were made. But, according to the review and flash demo on ars technica virtual desktops can be created and discarded very easily. That's a big seller for me, I usually have three to six apps running and I like each to have it's own desktop. Of all the pluses of linux I'd have to say virtual desktops are what impressed me most when I started to make the switch from windows to linux.

So when the developers here do their usual excellent work and create a package(s) for gnome 3 and put it in the sulfur repository I will most definitely be trying it out. And if I don't like gnome 3.0 there is always xfce+compiz.

~~~edit~~~~

Almost forgot to ask, any idea of when we'll see gnome 3 in sabayon Wolfden?

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Sat Apr 09, 2011 23:48

Sabayon wil not have gnome 3.0.0 very soon.
Upstream Gentoo is not planning putting it in Portage yet. It will be the next release.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

disastr0phe
Baby Hen

Post by disastr0phe » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:10

I set gnome 3 up yesterday morning, as soon as it hit the Arch testing repo. I did it as an upgrade to 2.32 and it went pretty well actually. All I had to do was to remove three fairly insignificant packages to resolve some depends issues with the install and 15 min later I was at my gnome 3 desktop. It works quite well, pretty responsive, nice compositing and the animations are snappy and smooth. It seems like a rather simplistic gui but certainly not unpleasant to use, even if a tad boring. It's footprint is about 143 MB on my setup at startup and it seems fairly light on the cpu. Configuration isn't really straightforward yet in a lot of areas but that will improve as tools are made. One thing that really put a knot in my boxers was that in order to add startup programs you have to either add them to your ~/.xinitrc or manually create the .desktop files and add them to your ~/.config/autostart . So the new technology did convolute some simple tasks but ain't that just the way?
Overall, it's okay I guess but it won't be replacing KDE for me any time soon. It seems to function very well, logs have been nice and clean and it does seem stable enough, probably a smoother transition than from when KDE went to 4.x. It seems like it could get kind of boring to use after the novelty wears off. It's almost like Kick-off took over your whole desktop or something :shock: . I'll keep mine maintained and see where it goes but I'll be sticking with KDE for normal use.
hp a6319fh desktop, hard wired 50Mb/s docsis 3.0
sabayon, 2.6.38-r1, kde4.6.2. arch/2.6.38.2-2-lqx (x3); kde 4.6.2, xfce 4.8.1, gnome 3.0.0.
"...without deviation from the norm,"progress" is not possible." ~ Frank Zappa

chasha420
Technological Hen

Gnome-3 Discussion

Post by chasha420 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:23

Hi guys, I just looked at a review of Gnome-3 on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wLGWc3y22w

My first impression is that the Gnome Project has taken a big step with the release of Gnome 3 & the interface looks kinda sleek & has more of a mac-ish feel to it. I'm not saying looking like Mac is a bad thing, it has it's purpose, etc. But, in my opinion I think Gnome-3 comes packed with a lot of unnecessary features that can be easily accomplished by other window managers like Compiz. Also I've read in an article some where about a Compiz developer complaining that support for Compiz in Gnome 3 has been sort of neglected & Gnome is trying to implement it's own version of Compiz effects.

I'm not going to go into this Gnome vs Compiz thing, but I wanted to know what you guys think about Gnome-3? I've heard a lot of mixed feeling about it, and I also wanted to know whether Gnome-3 would be supported by Sabayon Linux in the future? Thanks a lot!
Last edited by chasha420 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:59, edited 2 times in total.

micia
Sagely Hen

Re: Gnome-3 Discussion

Post by micia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:27

There is a similar thread here, just for your own interest:
http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23529

chasha420
Technological Hen

Re: Gnome-3 Discussion

Post by chasha420 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 22:52

Oops, didn't see that thread!

Btw Micia, I liked that order of your fallback D.E :mrgreen:

Seems like a good time to give KDE a try. ^^

batvink
Old Dear Hen

Post by batvink » Wed Apr 13, 2011 23:19

just downloaded gnome 3 based on openSuSE, and can't get it working ??
after 4 minutes waiting, and staring at a BSOO (Blue Screen Of OpenSuSE) :-) while nothing happens i gave up.
checked everything again and again. burned another copy, downloaded another copy, and even tryed running in VirtualBox. Still the same: nothing happens... ??
blue screen with mouse , and you can wait until you weight a ounce, but nothing happens.....

but i saw a demo on youtube, and i don't like what i've seen...
anyone else who have the same problem?

ExpatPaul
Simple Hen

Post by ExpatPaul » Sat Apr 16, 2011 0:07

batvink wrote:anyone else who have the same problem?
No. I'm booting the 64 bit OpenSUSE version from a USB key with no problem at. Well, no technial problems ;)

It does look very nice but I am finding the workflow to be both clunky and intrusive. It may well be that this is merely a case of having to learn a different way of doing things, but rignt now I'm not feeling particularly motivated to do so.

I will give it another try when it turns up in the repos but as things stand, I don't think Gnome 3 is for me.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:48

Merging topics :D

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 14:13

batvink wrote:anyone else who have the same problem?
It works for me too, as the last time I tried that interface, it just makes me less and less productive...
I'm setting up an emergency XFCE4 session in my Sabayon :mrgreen:
When it will be out for Sabayon, I will decide if it will be necessary to migrate or not, after all, I don't like the default Gnome that comes out for the majority of the Linux distros, but the Sabayon setup is the only one that suits my needs :P