Your favorite Recipes!

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Your favorite Recipes!

Postby KelloggsFrosties » Fri Oct 17, 2008 15:24

Did not find something like this here in the forum, so i am going to start it. Here everybody can post his or hers favorite recipes. As i am from Germany, i will post this in metric system, so you might have to recalculate the Ingredients on your own. Hope this thread will not die with only one post. ;)

Belgian Recipe

Ingredients (for 4 Persons):
1 kg Beef, cut into pieces of 2 -3 cm
50 g Butter
2 Onions
2 bay leafs
4-5 pieces of white bread
300 ml beer
4 cloves

Roast the meat in a pot. Cut the onion in small pieces and put it to the meat and roast them together with the meat for a short moment. Add the beer and the spices (you might want to put them into a tea-bag or something to remove them easy when finished) and let everything cook on low heat for about 2 hours with a top on your pot . You can add beer, if the it is not liquid enough. After about 1 hour, brush the bread with mustard and put it in the pot. This will make everything thick and smooth. If it has cooked enough, the meat should fall into pieces just by looking at it. You serve this with french fries, mayonnaise and applesauce.

Sounds weird, looks even worse, but tastes extremely good!
Young Hen

Re: Your favorite Recipes!

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:00

OK, I'll bite (pun intended). Here's one of my favourites, which I make often for my family, especially as it's so easy and quick.

Moqueca de Camaraõ (Serve with rice, preferably Brazilian style -- see further on.)

3 tablespoons of olive oil (a good dollop of oil in the pan, basically).
600 - 700 grammes of large peeled shrimps.
One clove of garlic, finely chopped.
Small green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped.
One green pepper, chopped.
One peeled onion, chopped.
Half of a 400-millilitre tin of coconut milk.
One tin of chopped tomatoes (300 to 400 grammes).
A small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped (put some of the leaves aside to garnish the moqueca when serving).
Juice from two fresh limes.
2 teaspoons salt.
Optional ingredient if you can find a shop selling Brazilian supplies: a couple of desert spoons of dendê oil, a dark orange palm oil. Not essential, but makes it more authentic (and even more delicious).

To make the moqueca:
Heat the oil in a big, deep frying pan (It needs to be deep 'cause you're going cook the whole thing in it. Use a wide saucepan if you haven't got a big frying pan).
Fry the chopped garlic until golden.
Add the chopped chilli and fry a little.
Add the onions and fry till golden.
(If the oil has all gone, just add another dollop so as to stop things burning.)
Add the green pepper and fry for another minute.
Add the shrimps, stir well and fry for about 3 minutes.
Add the tin of chopped tomatoes (including juice) and salt, and stir well.
Add the half tin of coconut milk and stir well.
Add half the bunch of chopped coriander (a handful) and stir well.
Add the lime juice and stir well.
Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. (If you have it, add the dendê oil after about 10 minutes and stir it in well).
When you serve, sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves on top to garnish.

Brazilian-style Rice:

450 grammes of long grain rice.
2 tablespoons of sunflower or similar cooking oil.
One peeled onion, chopped.
1 teaspoon of salt.
Half a 400-gramme tin of chopped tomatoes.
Handful of chopped parsley (optional)

To make the rice:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Add the chopped onion and fry until golden.
Stir in the rice and fry for about a minute (or less) so it's nicely coated with oil and hot. Keep turning it; don't let it burn.
Add the half tin of chopped tomatoes (including juice) and stir.
Add the salt and one litre of water, and stir well.
Bring to the boil, put the lid on the saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid all absorbed. (Avoid peaking if possible, as this affects the cooking process.)
When you serve it, sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley on top.

If you have any left over, don't worry: it tastes just as good reheated the next day.

Ai que saudades do Brasil! Image
Sagely Hen

Re: Your favorite Recipes!

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:49

This is a Heston Blumenthal recipe that I've only done once but was overwhelmed by the flavour and texture. I would do it more often except that a good double rib of beef is almost my whole weekly food budget! I have a very cheap domestic oven and the low temperature is very difficult to achieve so I had to improvise a bit by turning the oven up to about 75 degrees C for the last 5 hours or so.

This recipe relies on long, slow cooking at a very low temperature to give tender, perfectly cooked meat.

1 x 2-bone rib of beef, wing end
salt and freshly ground black pepper
groundnut oil

1. Preheat the oven to 55C/130F (if you have a gas oven, set it to the lowest setting, and use an oven thermometer if possible). Generously season the beef and wipe with some oil.
2. Using a blowtorch, brown the meat all over. This may take a few minutes depending on the size of the beef and the power of the blowtorch. Place in a roasting tray and roast for 20 hours.
3. To carve, cut the whole piece of meat from the ribs by running a knife between the bones and meat. Slice across the grain - that way, when you eat it, your teeth will bite between the fibres, not across them, giving the meat a more tender texture.

I just had to add my favourite pudding recipe too :) I got this from my Mother but don't know where she got it from.

Boodle’s Orange Fool

4-6 trifle sponges cut into ½ “ thick slices.
Grated rind and juice of 2 oranges and 1 lemon.
1-2 ounces sugar.
10 fluid ounces ( ½ pint) fresh double cream.
Orange segments or chocolate to decorate.

Use sponge slices to line bottom and halfway up the sides of deep serving dish or bowl.

Mix orange and lemon rinds and juice with sugar and stir until dissolved.

In another bowl whip cream until it starts to thicken then slowly add the sweetened fruit juice whipping the cream as you do so.

Whip until cream is light and thickened and all the juice is absorbed.

Pour mixture over sponge and refrigerate for at least 2 hours – longer if possible so that the juice can soak into the sponge and cream thicken.

Decorate and serve.

Health note. Both of the above are likely to raise your cholesterol level!
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
Sagely Hen

Return to Off Topic