KDE Dev Quits - Poll

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

KDE 4 Sticking With It?

Yes, KDE 4 all the way for me
42%
No, I don't care for it at all and switching desktop environments
25%
I'm sticking with 3.5.*
33%

Total votes : 24

KDE Dev Quits - Poll

Postby wolfden » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:13

I don't know if you have been following along with KDE stuff, but ever since KDE did their shiffty announcement of KDE 4 be released and not really telling people it's beta and that KDE 4 isn't KDE 4 till 4.1 it has caused a ripple through out the linux community.

Ok, many many many people are against change and 4.1 is a lot of change so you have people requesting that KDE fork http://practical-tech.com/operating-sys ... or-a-fork/

Now a developer quits http://practical-tech.com/operating-sys ... per-quits/ and another dev states
“KDE, like many other open-source projects, doesn’t really need users at all, whether they are poisonous or not.”

Anything to worry about? Every project has inter conflicts happening.

Personally I have tried and used KDE up to 4.0.5 and I have no complaints - it has bugs, but it's beta and we are not forced to use it. I am curious to know what other users are having for experiences with KDE 4 stuff. Gonna stick with KDE 4 or stick with 3.5.* or use an entirely different desktop environment. I made the switch from KDE over a year ago and use Gnome primarily.

Not starting a flame war here - my advice is to use what works for you.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: KDE Dev Quits - Poll

Postby mythus » Fri Jul 04, 2008 15:44

Well right now I plan to stick with 3.5.

It is simply more stable, and provides the massive customizability that I crave.

However this does not mean that in the future I won't try KDE4. I have been watching it's developement, and am intrigued by some of the new progress made for KDE 4.1. So once it stablizes and allows for at least the same amount of customization that 3.5 allows for, I won't have any trouble switching.
Legends of Nor'Ova - Post appocalyptic steampunk-like forum and Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book site
mythus
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Sat Jul 05, 2008 18:14

I will be switching to 4.1. I've tried out 4.0.x a few times, and it seems alright. It's different, so I have to learn how to use it all over again (like how they prefer for everything to be one click). I have a feeling that after using it only for a month straight, I'll have it all figured out and I won't look back. I feel that most people are comfortable with 3.5 and just don't want to learn something new, which is perfectly acceptable, since linux is all about choice.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby gnp421 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 20:01

I personally refuse to use KDE4, it is slightly faster but I began to look for ways to gain my resources back, I found Enlightenment and it does everything I need to do. I can finally run the algorithms I need to in order for me to complete my thesis. I have used KDE for a while because it was easier, now that I found e17 there's no need for it anymore.
gnp421
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Jul 05, 2008 22:57

e17 is definitely nice

I have always used single click in linux, but in windows I always use double click. Overall I didn't find using KDE 4.0.* was much different for doing things.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby fenius » Sun Jul 06, 2008 19:02

I like to change and try new stuff.

KDE4 looks promising to me.

Stupot you can always change it back to double-click in System Settings-->Keyboard & Mouse if you prefer.

...i'm also sure they're going to improve its customizability soon. :D
fenius
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:13

running 4.1 final here on archlinux, well actually kdemod4 that is

it's very good - I am impressed at how they wrapped things up nicely.

4.1 final was out Friday and got into several repos over the weekend. Dunno when Gentoo will get it out tho...

KDE hasn't made any announcements yet either
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby bugmenot-5 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:42

When they add CD/DVD burning and archive handling (as folders with all the normal dolphin view options) built into dolphin, Mac-like menubar (fully functional like the one in KDE3), Fully functional (that it´s icon change to reflect the active app as in OS9) windowlist plasmoid, OS9 type main menu (no hardcoded system stuff in the menu like the current kmenu pls), ability to remove the top right widget thing off the desktop and CF-kwin integration (customizable drop shadows, and no need to use emerald) I go for KDE 4.1, right now I´m on 3.5.x.
bugmenot-5
Young Hen

Postby nemesis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 14:17

I've tried 4.0 and 4.0.5 but they weren't usable enough for me. Installed 4.1 the other day, and haven't looked back. It's stable/usable enough for me.
nemesis
Simple Hen

Postby yuguang » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:46

Great to hear some people who had success with KDE4.1 on Sabayon. I tried KDE 4.0.5 on Kubuntu 8.04 today. Besides a minor issue with plasma changing the position of widgets(fixed after logging back in), I'm getting used to the benefits of KDE4. Just some of the few on my mind:
  • Clearer KPDF rendering
  • better support for single click folder browsing(highlighting shows info)
  • intelligent panel uses large icons and automatically switches to double rows
  • mouseover opens Favourite, Applications, Computer, etc. in the menu
  • aRts sound server which chews memory is replaced with Phonon
  • really smooth file browsing feels faster
  • better contrast with white highlighting of the black panel
Ok, so those are some of the things I really liked. You can probably find a longer list on Google. 3.5 is like Vista in the same way 4 is like XP. KDE4 is leaner, faster, and more fun(actually, more productive for me). If you've seen pictures of Vista and KDE4 you would know what I mean.
yuguang
Simple Hen

Return to Off Topic