Windows question, dont hurt me :)

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Windows question, dont hurt me :)

Postby Gzus666 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:46

Ok, working on a guy's PC, got a dead XP. loads to the boot options screen, any option restarts it, fun fun, something with one of the boot records is whacked Im sure, USB problem caused a unscheduled reboot mid process. Building him a new PC, but I need to get into XP so I can recover the key, cause he lost it of course. When I try to boot off the XP CD it runs through the initial F6 for SCSI and F2 for ASR, then just goes brain dead and won't extract anything. Im worried there is some serious corruption here that it cant load the recovery console. Anyone got any ideas how to remove the key or get this booted? The only other method I know of is the Dagon Design method, but I would like to reserve that for last resort as its a pain. I got a universal IDE/SATA to USB connector coming on Wed. so I can hook this up and check the disk for corruption, but hoping someone has encountered this before and maybe I can make it happen before then.
Gzus666
Baby Hen

Re: Windows question, dont hurt me :)

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:41

Have you tried booting a Linux live cd in the machine to have a look around?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby GI_James » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:45

It's been a while for me, not sure I remember where to find the product key, other than a google search. My first thoughts (other than google) would be to boot with a linux live CD (unless you have ERD Commander) and you should have access to all files on the HD.

Hope that helps.

-James
James Strickland
Crestview, FL
StrickStuff.com
Computer
Screen
Keyboard
Wireless Mouse
Mouse Pad
GI_James
Simple Hen

Postby Gzus666 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:31

Well, finally got my USB/IDE connector in the mail, so I just hooked it up, and did it the dirty way by pulling it out of the registry, thanks for the help though guys.

http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/windows-xp-product-key-recovery/comment-page-12/#comments

Just for reference for anyone, thats a wonderful little trick
Gzus666
Baby Hen

Return to Off Topic