Torrents are being watched??

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Torrents are being watched??

Postby ioannidis007 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 19:56

Hello there! I don't know how the site administrators will react to that, so sorry if I refer to illegal content. Anyway, I have heard many rumors about my ISP watching my torrent downloads. ONLY torrents. Rapidshare and similar sites are not being watched. I have also heard that if you use utorrent on it's latest version you are dead meat! I only use azureus but still if you have any information on this rumor please reply!
"I am the man that will become the pirate king!" -Monkey D. Luffy
ioannidis007
Simple Hen

Re: Torrents are being watched??

Postby chickpea » Fri Feb 01, 2008 20:52

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=638

be careful with these type of posts.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Feb 02, 2008 0:21

ioannidis007 wrote:Hello there! I don't know how the site administrators will react to that, so sorry if I refer to illegal content. Anyway, I have heard many rumors about my ISP watching my torrent downloads. ONLY torrents. Rapidshare and similar sites are not being watched. I have also heard that if you use utorrent on it's latest version you are dead meat! I only use azureus but still if you have any information on this rumor please reply!

contact your ISP for it's policies. Each ISP does and can develop their own policies.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:44

In the UK, with places like Menwith Hill and GCHQ, it's best to assume everything is being watched all the time :(
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby ioannidis007 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 23:40

After a little research on torrent managers I have reached the conclusion that whether it is utorrent,ktorrent or anything, a bittorrent client is a simple script that finds the seeds and leeches and does the transfer. So how can only the latest utorrent be watched? I think this rumor is totally busted!
ioannidis007
Simple Hen

Postby watson540 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 0:38

i think why everyone says use azureus is because it has that 'peer-guardian' plugin (doesnt it?) dunno what it does, but i agree with whoever says you can be easily seen by your isp as using torrents. so, as wolfden said, it's up to your isp to decide what to do with that info
watson540
Simple Hen

Postby ioannidis007 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 20:48

Do you mean safepeer plug-in?
ioannidis007
Simple Hen

Postby chickpea » Fri Feb 15, 2008 21:51

why not just encrypt your torrents? RC4 encryption and custom ports will prevent most ISPs from snooping your torrents. Although, RC4 is not bulletproof like SSL or the like.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby ioannidis007 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 16:25

How can I encrypt my torrets? That won't reduce my download speed,right?
ioannidis007
Simple Hen

Return to Off Topic